ballistics for a .44 cap n ball

woddoe

Inactive
I have a cap and ball Cattleman Uberti .44 replica revolver. I keep for sport shooting and self defense because getting a license for a conventional gun is impossible in my country (Andorra) except for policeman. I know it is not the ideal self-defense weapon, but looks better than nothing.

I would like to know something about ballistics of this gunwhen loaded with with 22 grains or 30 grains of black powder and .457 round lead ball, and if can be established a comparison between thsi gun loaded with 30 grains and a convetional one, i.e. .32 ACP or .38 in terms of speed and power.

Thanks guys

Theres a ballistic calculator over at handloads.com you can play around with. But remember you cant draw exact comparisons to cartridges either. A deforming lead ball along with 50% burning black powder will perform differently on flesh than a 32cal fmj although they may be in the same power level. Personally I'd take my 58 army with 40grs black over any 32.

from evan marshall's book, stoping power, from a uberti 1860 army loaded with 30 grs of fffg with a 141 round ball you got 67% one shot stop, wich is as good as a 38 +p lead hollow point fired from a 4" barrel (69% one shot stop). a 44 dragoon loaded with 45 grs of FFFG is up to 85% one shot stop wich is as good a s 45 ACP JHP... not bad!

Back