Ballistics Equations

I am looking for ballistics equations, primarily bullet drop and loss of velocity over distance. I've googled for hours but cannot any equations. What I am looking for is basically found on http://www.cleverinsite.com/ballistics/calcs.asp. I have 34 calibers (handgun and rifle) that I am currently looking at however, and do not want to have to sit and plug each one in. Does anyone know the equation that was used to generate this table?

Thanks

If you had an "equation" wouldn't you still have to plug in data for each load?
There isn't a single equation that spits out velocity and trajectory; there are multiple calculations and I assume the present computer programs contain the vast Ingalls lookup tables.

For plugging in, I am using a program to do so, it will go through each caliber, using common weights, calculate and save. Realizing that there are a lot of factors that determine the velocity of a bullet, I was hoping that there was a 'generic' equation where I could plug in weight of bullet, coefficient, muzzle velocity and get the estimated velocity for various distances. Are these Ingall tables available in spreadsheets? Thanks

The only place I have ever seen the Ingalls tables is 'Hatcher's Notebook'.
I don't know that the internet calculators have lookup tables, maybe they calculate everything from first principles. I think that involves numerical integration but it has been a long time since I read about it in any detail.

Good luck.

Hornady makes a smart phone App (Hornady Ballistics) that gives you the option of 2 different calculation models (4DOF and G1/G7) as well as lookups for a lot of off the shelf ammunition types. That may be helpful.

Google, "projectile motion" and take a look. There's a pretty good wikipedia article: choose your equation, plug in your data and test the results.

There are several online calculators. You need to find the bullets BC and approximate muzzle velocity. Obviously the more accurate the info you put in the more accurate info you're going to get. Having a chronograph is best, but you can approximate MV from ballistics charts.

I use this, but they all do the same thing. I'm just familiar with this one.

https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady/ballistic-calculators/#!/

Back