Ballister-Rigaud/Molina .45 cal 1911 style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crij

Inactive
I am not sure if this is the right place for this, but anyways...

I recently purchased a Ballister-Rigaud .45 cal (BR) and I was wondering what people could tell me about this gun, other than the fact that it shoots great, only a few 1911 parts fit and the Ballester Molina is the same gun, just renamed and produced in 1938, 3 yrs after the first BR.

It is marked "DIRECCION GENERAL DE ADUANAS" "POLICIA ADUANERA" "202" on the right side of the slide. Also it has a serial # of 141 on the bulge behind the grips on the left side, and on the underside of the slide. The clip that came with it is marked "Z8110". On the right side of the slide it states "Automatic pistol Ballister-Rigaud .45 cal" "Manufactured for H.A.F.D.A.S.A. Buenos Aires" "Pat 48282 - Argentinian Industry" (translated from spanish the best I can do).

For anyone that is looking for a great 1911 style pistol that won't break the bank I would boldly suggest getting a BR or a BM. The metal is a whole lot better, denser, than that of a mid '80's Colt or S&W 1911 style, which holds the muzzel flip down, without adding much weight, by feel. Another benifit of the BR/M is there is no grip safety which I personally like because to me they are very annoying, especially when decocking one handed like I do, and the hammer guard is longer, to minimize the chances of skin removal for people like me with fat hands. Another thing that sold me on it was that to me it looked like a more finished gun, smoother lines, deeper grips, longer mag release, and I can just bearly reach the std slide release with my thumb, which I can not on a std 1911, also this one has the metal browned, so it stands out more, which it turns out is only old / distressed gun bluing.

Hope to hear from someone soon,
Thanks for your help,

Richard Cizik Jr
richard.cizik.jr@snet.net

I have a Ballistor-Molina "fed polica" nice gun but it is not a 1911, only the barrel,barrel spring and Mags interchange (some other parts can be used but with fitting) I do like it and they are quality guns.

The problem it, when parts break, there ain't no spare parts.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

I wouldn't mind owning one myself, except that I don't need another .45 (except for a smaller Glock).

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Greetings Crij, from "Ballester Molina Country" - here in Argentina the armed forces (and law enforcement) adopted the Colt 1911 as standard ordnace in 1916 - the A1 in '27. early 30's there was some trouble at hartford in meeting the argentine orders and Colt finally set up machinerey to build them here. In the meantime, the Hispano Argetina Fabrica de Armas Sociedad Anonima (HAFDASA) began manufacturing a local patent - functionally close to the Colt, identical outline (but without the grip safety and not 'parts replaceable) - the 'Ballester-Rigaud' first and then with some slight changes the Ballester-Molina' (the names of the developers). Colts and Ballester were issued to all the forces, yours went to the Customs Police - others may be marked "Policia Federal" or "Ejercito Argetnino" etc.

They are very well built - as the machining and asembly were more lesiurely than the US lines, some were practically 'hand crafted'. I've shot a very slightly tuned 'Ballester Molina' in IPSC through about a decade.

The 45 was replaced by Browning Hi Powers when 9mm-mania took over and tens of thousands of guns went on the surplus market... some new, most slightly used (as they were issue guns they could show a lot of 'holster wear'- and almost unfired) and some practically shot to death. As with most surplus weapons, many could suffer from negligence... so with some caution and close examination - a good buy.

Parts are scarce here too - though we can often rustle up some from 'cannibalized' discarded guns - expensive.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back