Ball Diameter Question

poko

Inactive
I have a couple questions for you all. In my Lyman black powder manual it lists the ball diameter for the Walker at.454 and the diameter for a ".44 Cal. with an 8" barrel" (which is what the 1860 colt army would be) at .451. I would like to use the same ball for each revolver to make things easier. What do you think? Can I use the .454 in both? Why do you think it has the 8" barrel listed at .451?
Thanks,
Chuck

Most bp revolvers now do use a .454 ball. Some take a .457 but very few still use a .451. Even if they do take a .451 a .454 will work. As long as it shaves a lead ring when you seat the ball it'll be fine.

Hawg's right, if you can seat it you should be fine. What you dont want is to use a 451 in a gun that takes a 457 which can become dislodged under recoil of a heavy charge. I have numerous pietta and ubertis and use 454's for them all. Good luck

For the Belgian 1860 Colt Centaure "1960 New Model Army" the .451 RB was recommended because of the somewhat smaller bore diameter compared to Italian repros.
Most Italian C&B pistols in .44 cal. like the .454, some the .457.
Bootsie

Thanks for asking HH.
Actually yes, found a new, so far unknown variation of the Cavalry Model. Found it in the USA, NIB. This new variation got an 8" barrel, probably made 1972 while all other documented variations have the 7,5" barrels and were made between 1960 and 1963.
You have to be prepared for surprises when you deal with these Belgian Colts.
Bootsie

HH: Fabriques d'Armes Unies de Liège (FAUL) started with the first batch of some 100 C&B revolvers 1959 and and stopped producing them during 1973. The whole gun production their was discontinued 1976. FAUL was sold during 1992. For details check www.1960nma.org
Bootsie

Belgian I had

Never did find out the date of it, fired it ...sold it to a friend..jus' curious if you could tell date.
vfz2p3.jpg

msm42h.jpg

2dgrknc.jpg

Is older than Centinnel only has Belgium on bottom of Grip.
Thanks,
SG

SG: regular New Model Army, 1st variation (rebated, plain cylinder), either 1st subvariation (with the cut in the butt for the shoulder stock) or 2nd subvariation (without the cut in the butt for the shoulder stock). Regarding date of production the only thing for sure without knowing the serial number would be that she was made before Feb. 26, 1968 (when the "R over Crown" mark and the inspector marks "*over letter" were discontinued.
However, it appears that there is no centaure logo on the left side of the frame. That indicates production before 1961 (which would imply 1st subvariation).
Bootsie

Thanks Bootsie

I can get the S/N but I believe you nailed it with the pre 1961 date. I thank you very much.
The Rev fired bit cyl was pretty loose before lock up. Hammer had been ground out to a very large site...anyway it's in good hands to be made a shooter again... Had it any value as it was?

SG

Had it any value as it was

Now is a good time to be asking since you don't have it anymore.:D
I'd hate to know what the original 58 Remington I sold ten years ago is worth now.:eek:

Now is a good time to be asking since you don't have it anymore.
I'd hate to know what the original 58 Remington I sold ten years ago is worth now.

LoL! I hear ya Hawg, my friend still has it and I was hoping to find more about it before he continued 'smithin' on it to tighten it up. Bootsie seems very knowledgable on the Centinnels and in the right part of the world for info. I knew it was old and probly late 1950's, was hoping it was one of those 1860 Army Revs that was never made for the War of Attrition. Quite possibley for the South'...It looked old enough...and the bore was smaller plus matched the chambers. A guy can dream, ya know?

SG

108gxma.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say Bootsie is THE expert on Centennials. I've seen him on several forums and he's always looking for models that aren't known. I'd like to find one meownself.................For the right price of course.:D

SG I'd say HH nailed it.
If your pistol were in "new" condition and from the early batch without the centaur logo a collector would pay a couple of hundreds of $ or € for it. To give you an idea at the end of January 2008 a US friend of mine stumbled over one with 2 digit S/N "as new"/unfired but without the original cartboard box in a gunshop. The dealer just wanted to get rid of it because it was collecting dust for many, many years in the shop already. My friend paid a bit over $ 300,00 which was a steal.
However, it appears that too many pards have studied the centaure website as well as the RPRCA homepage by now. Because that same US friend could ask significantly more for his pistol today.
Bootsie

Thanks Bootsie... So my friend probly won't make a $1000 on it and give me half ...HeeHeeHee! Oh well is fun to research the history of a Rev or rifle, danged if people seem to try and buy up on ya when you speak of up in a forum. I noticed it on the ones we speak of went up and now are harder to find.
I think I'll PM from know on and keep tight lipped in the foruims...what a same.
Half kiddin',

SG:rolleyes:

Back