Baker model B shotgun information

Alex Johnson

Does anyone have any information about the Baker model B shotgun? My local gunshop has one and I was looking over it this afternoon. It has a strange method of opening the action, where you push the front trigger forward. When were these guns made and by whom, I've heard that Baker and L.C. Smith were one and the same. Any information would be appreciated.

All I know is they had a good rep in the old days. Caution, most had Damascus bbls so they're wall hangers rather than shooters unless the bbls are real steel. A good way to check is to dismount the forearm, underneath the finish is closer to new and the grain of the laminations should be easy to see.

I think Baker held some patents used in the Elsie.

yep i know somthin bout them, i had a batavia leader hammerless from baker,quite a very very nice shotgun,in the early days i believe ithaca had a hand in the making of these with lc smith somehow ,i think lc was an offshoot that started when a worker left ithaca with help from them to get the company formed,now in the sears catalog i did find mine for 14 $ i think 20 years ago,l.c was making the bakers as a joint co-op product for sears roebucks i believe.i may be a bit off but when i looked into this 20 years back i had more memory too!

[This message has been edited by old hawk (edited August 06, 2000).]

Back