Bad wholesale warehouse

74camaroman

I am new to reloading and about 4 months ago I bought some LilGun powder from WHOLESALE HUNTER at $79.99 a pound and found out that was twice the going price. I questioned them about the purchase and was told that that was the going price at the time of purchase, that was a snow job from their customer service. I didn't know better because I am new to reloading, so I learned a painful lesson. Then today they sent me an advertisement that CCI primers were now in stock. CCI Small Rifle Primers were priced at $259.99 per 1000 primers, CCI Small Pistol Primers were $449.99 per 1000 primers and CCI Benchrest Small Rifle were $419.99 per 1000 primers, Now that is PRICE GOUGING and not capitolism. Buyers Beware.:confused:

Last edited:
Yeah, when I first started buying guns and shooting stuff, I made a lot of sucker deals. Just didn't know any better.

OP paid more than he should, but the value in learning a lesson offsets the loss. Sort of.

Next time you'll be a very astute customer.

Umm, not sure I see how making a firearms/reloading purchase is any different than say-- buying a shirt, a steak or a car. One does a little comparison shopping/price checking before swiping the old credit card---yes, no?

That said, thanks to the OP for flagging that vendor.

I blame the consumers as much as the retailers. They wouldn’t be charging those prices if people weren’t paying them.

If you paid WAY too much for some reloading products, it’s not because you’re new to reloading. It’s no different than buying anything else…..check prices before you buy. You obviously have the internet, know how to search (or you wouldn’t have gotten here), and if you’re old enough to buy guns you know that all sellers have different prices. Powder, primers, etc. aren’t any different than anything else. Thanks for flagging the seller, but if you paid too much you can’t blame them. They offered and you accepted. The old saying “buyer beware” applies to everything.

Seems like that outfit is selling at GunBroker ask prices. Not necessary to pay that when primers are now showing up at stores. It's at a dribble, mind you, but at least they're showing up.

I lack sympathy here.

Actually its Capitalism at its best. Long term they may well shoot themselves in the foot (grin) but Capitalism without rails is exactly what you have there.

The reason we have road rules is so there is a reasonable flow of traffic. In this case, there are no rules and they are maximizing at least short term profit.

I have seen people rant about the price of Military Surplus guns and how unfair it was.

I have always sold mine on GB so I can get the most out of what I invested. I don't owe it to anyone to give them the deal they want.

Now if you want a raw deal, live where I do and the Haz charges are enormous to the point you can't afford to buy on line (powder and primers).

I am seeing more and more ammo come back, bullets to some degree, have not seen primers or powder.

74camaroman: I'll agree you paid too much.
I own a 1976 Yamaha TT-500 motorcycle. I was looking at used parts on e-bay.
Somebody listed a used exhaust pipe/muffler for $1200 or so.
My reaction? Crazy!! Too much. I make decisions like that.

So,you have a complaint. OK.

What would you offer as a solution? I hope you agree that government price controls on ammunition and reloading components would be a really bad idea.

One of the harsh things about ideas like Liberty and Freedom is the opportunity to make "less than good" choices. Those are often painful.

Do your homework! You may not find components in stock at advertised prices,but you CAN check the prices at Natchez, Graf's,Powder Valley,Midway,etc to get a feel for the current market.These outfits may not be bargain cheap,but you will get an idea of the going competitive price.
Be advised "not in stock" items are probably priced off the last invoice. When the new stock comes in,price may increase from the supplier.

Realize the"Big Box" employees have a network of friends. As soon as a truck shows up with inventory, the phones come out,and the "Buddies" clear the shelves as they are stocked. Then they haul it on the gun show route or put it on Gun Broker till a sucker or desperate person comes along.Be advised "not in stock" items are probably priced off the last invoice. When the new stock comes in,price may increase from the supplier.
What to do? Start by not voting anti-gun people into office.
These things run in cycles.
When shelves were stocked and folks were not panic buying,some in the gun biz complained about the "Trump slump"
That ended,huh?
If 2022 goes in a gun friendly way,things may settle down. Maybe in 2023 you can buy powder at $30 a lb or $225 for 8 lbs. Maybe primers will be $50 a 1000 or $220 for 5000. Who knows?

If so, say "These ARE the "good old days" and stock a RESERVE of a few years components.
For now,buy them as you find them,but avoid being desperate.

Last edited:
I am going to do just that, when the prices go down and availability shows its ugly head, I will stock up and reload every empty I have. I learned a lesson the hard way and I know it, so I accept to paying too much!! I have seen it where customer service over priced and item and took home the profit without the company knowing, Very brave!!
What I would like them to do is to charge me a reasonable price, maybe $10.00 over invoice and refund me the rest. No experienced re-loader would pay that price unless they actually have to. I don't mind them making a profit but charging double for something is PRICE GOUGING, you can call it what you want, I CALL IT PRICE GOUGING AND NOT SUPPLY AND DEMAND.

I do have some sympathy for the new reloaders. They often just don't "know any better" when it comes to prices in the current market.

Today I went to a "local" Cabelas because I called ahead and found out they had some primers. I was able to get a brick of Large Magnum Pistol and a brick of Small Magnum Rifle. It came to almost $150 w/tax. It hurt yes, but that is the current going rate in my state IF you can find anything. Most places I used to get them from haven't had ANY primers in over 8 months. It is what it is. I either buy them or dig into my reserves and dwindle my supply. It doesn't matter that I used to get them for $38 a brick....

RC20 is correct. This IS capitalism.

They are free to offer the product at their price.

You are free to decline.

(What isn't capitalism is the political conditions that put us here in the first place; but, this is no place for such discussion.)

You are new to loading, so I do have sympathy for you being "taken" by super high powder prices. But you said yourself: "I learned a painful lesson." So there it is. Learn. Move on. Don't dwell.

We all hope things will get better with time. Be patient and don't give up. Loading your own is extremely rewarding.

What I would like them to do is to charge me a reasonable price, maybe $10.00 over invoice and refund me the rest. No experienced re-loader would pay that price unless they actually have to. I don't mind them making a profit but charging double for something is PRICE GOUGING, you can call it what you want, I CALL IT PRICE GOUGING AND NOT SUPPLY AND DEMAND.
Charge you $10 over invoice? How do you expect a businessman to survive and make a living and support his family?

Every hear of overhead, store rent, salaries (including absurd loical governtment-mandated minimums), taxes, fees and permits, utilities, garbage collection, etc., etc.

The customary formula for retail pricing is twice what the item costs the retailer.

Last edited:
I am new to reloading and about 4 months ago I bought some LilGun powder from WHOLESALE HUNTER at $79.99 a pound and found out that was twice the going price. I questioned them about the purchase and was told that that was the going price at the time of purchase, that was a snow job from their customer service. I didn't know better because I am new to reloading, so I learned a painful lesson. Then today they sent me an advertisement that CCI primers were now in stock. CCI Small Rifle Primers were priced at $259.99 per 1000 primers, CCI Small Pistol Primers were $449.99 per 1000 primers and CCI Benchrest Small Rifle were $419.99 per 1000 primers, Now that is PRICE GOUGING and not capitolism. Buyers Beware.:confused:
OK, I just checked the website and yes, the primer prices are CRAZY, probably why they still have them.

But bullets and powder are not that crazy, seems the be about what I see everywhere.

But, the real question is, did you pay $79/lb for Lil'Gun + tax + shipping + hazmat?
They are out of stock, so somebody bought it.

I don't mind them making a profit but charging double for something is PRICE GOUGING, you can call it what you want, I CALL IT PRICE GOUGING AND NOT SUPPLY AND DEMAND.

Ok, time for the Government to step in, set prices (after consulting you on what you consider the right price)

I would have sympathy for a new reloader but not one that has decided they set the price for someone else.

I once had a guy tell me what I had to sell a gun to him for. Really?

He was still nattering when another guy paid me what I was asking for it.

I guess I have to check in to see if I am gouging when we sell our house for 3 or 4 times what we paid for it.

It’s only price gouging if it’s a necessity to feed, clothe, house, protect or medicate yourself or your family. Unless you do any or all of that with LilGun powder and there are no alternatives (which there were), you didn’t get gouged. You just have buyer’s remorse.

The thing is, Grafs has Lil' Gun listed for $26.99/lb, 4lbs for $101.99 & 8lbs for $193.99. But, of course, they are out of stock.

They could mark it $10/lb, but makes no difference, because they don't have any.

My LGS is not known for gouging, they have Lil'Gun in stock, it's $47.99/lb, so, $50 with tax.
If I wanted or needed it I would buy it.

Am I happy with that price? No.
Am I going to complain about the price? No, because I simply do not know where they got the powder from or how much they paid for it.

I suspect your LGS has a hard time getting his hands on powder,too. And likely its not cheap.
In 2018,maybe your LGS sold 2000 lbs of powder. In 2021,maybe your LGS has only been able to find 500 lbs of powder.
How does he make his business plan work?

It takes all kinds,but a brick and mortar LGS has to think long term loyal customers.

Folks who will give him first crack at their dollar bill because they value having the doors open. Folks who don't quibble about 10% as long as the price is competitive. Gouging throws those folks away. The LGS knows that.
Its the "Goose that lays the Golden Egg " story.

Folks need to stand together. That LGS just might save your bacon over a decapping spindle or odd old gun part in a cigar box that Sportsman's Warehouse will never have.

Its tough for those folks to keep the doors open.

I'll tell you what IMO IS gouging. I hate it. I personally shun these people.
As far as I'm concerned,they can drop dead. The whole string of them,and their families.

If you work at WalMart or Sportsman's Warehouse or any other Big Box...if you get your phone out when the truck shows up,it starts with you.

Your friends show up and clear the shelves. They create an artificial shortage. Then they black market the product at gouging prices.

I don't trust the government to solve it. But these people should be total outcasts.
If I had the local grocery store,I would refuse to sell them food. OK,maybe $50 a lb for potatoes.

those of us who have lived thru the ups and downs of certain items have learned to stock up in the lows. when i bought any reloading supplies, instead of one brick of primers i bought two and the same with powder and bullets too. and now i have more then enough to last me for years of reloading and shooting. i just gave a shooting friend a pound of varget-40 casing(.308 win) and a 100 pack of win LRP,s, to be given back when thing loosen up. i just weighted all my primers(shotgun, large-small rifle, large -small pistol in one large plastic container and it came to 32+ pounds, so there at least 30 lbs of primers.

Last edited:
Back