Bad shoulder, sold my mossberg 500. Any alternatives?

gringo5

Have a bad shoulder and the last couple of years i shoot less and less shotgun. Any recomendations on a "easier" on the body shotgun. It's for home protection and tactical shoots. I normaly shot 00 buck and slugs. Thanks

Mossy makes a 20 gauge! There is little difference at close range and some like the 20 better for accuracy. Ammo is more.

Good luck. I know the FEELing. I keep my Mossy by the bed but don't shoot it anymore.

My fun guns are .22s now. :( Ohhhhhhhh welll we play with the cards we're dealt.

Take care,

Jody

Better yet!

Remington 1100 in 28 ga. absolutely the most fun auto shotgun made. Shoots like a 22 and hits like a 20.

Geoff Ross

I recently bought a shotgun with a full stock that has a built in pistol grip similar to an AR15 it takes a lot of recoil off the shoulder and puts it into yhe palm but it's not painful there....

A coupla options...

First,make sure your stock fits.

Second,learn to shoot from the other shoulder.

Third,get the forcing cone done on your present 12 ga, drop down to the reduced recoil loads,heavy up your gun, or do any of the various recoil reducing things old threads are filled with.A bit of research in the Archives will help you.

Fourth, get a gas gun,and do the above.

Fifth, try a wearable recoil pad, like the PAST, for practice and competition.

I wouldn't recommend a 20 ga for less kick, some of the lighter ones are vicious kickers. And if the shotgun has to be heavy, might as well get a 12.

HTH...

I have the same problem. I traded for a Remington 1100 in 20 ga. I love it! I can shoot buck and slugs with zero problem! Try it, I think you'll agree!

I, too, have a bad shoulder. This is what I've found...

I whole-heartedly agree with K80Geoff on the 28, but readily finding the skeet ammo in 100-round boxes at Wally World can be nothing short of a nightmare.

A 20 gauge would be nice, but the kick of a 20 can be the same as a 12 if you don't have a heavy enough gun.

So I figured that it's gotta do more with weight than gauge (to a certain extent).

I tried a neighbor's over/under 12ga/12ga. It had nice, long barrel, and was heavy as a horse. The kick was far less than my stripped down 870. I can run about 100 shots now with no next-day consequences. Not to mention, the longer barrels make skeet shooting almost boring now - I can't miss!

So you might want to go test a long double-barrel, whether over/under over classic. I'd suggest the over/under for accuracy reasons.

Good Luck bub, I hope you find a solution.

Time is getting to my shoulders too. What works for me is an 1187 Remington 12 gauge with the forcing cone tapered and the barrel ported by magna port. It really made a difference in the recoil. Recoil seems to be about half of what it is in my Beretta O/U 12.

Back