Bad Lead Problem

Ludwig

What is the best way to clean lead out of a revolver barrel? My 44 mag really leads up with the load I have. I've still got about 300 of them and I'll be glad when they're finally all shot and I can change to gas-checks. Thanks for any advice anyone might have. L

Simple. Buy a Lewis Lead Remover. I hear people moaning all the time about barrel leading. This takes all of about 15 seconds to remove all lead completely. This isn't something new. It has been around for years. Worked fine the whole time. The kit for your gun is available for $13.75 from Brownells. Shoot your ammo and enjoy it.

Wow Ludwig. Great, I think this will be the answer to your problem. I am a real believer in the "You can lead a horse to water........." Usually when I recommend something "they" never listen. Let me know how you liked it.

Shame you already ordered it...

A scrap of Chore Girl wound thru a bronze brush works just as well, and a lot cheaper. I haven't used my LLR since I found out about this. :D
Tom

I shoot a little over 100 44 magnums a day. All are made with cast bullets. Accuracy is measured on all the groups. After a couple thousand rounds there was NO decrease in on target performance. Don't think that you need to clean these guns all that often.

The chore girl idea works well.
Once you get the lead out, if you cast your own bullets buy some tubes of Moly bullet lube from Midway and melt it down with 1.5 sticks of regular lube and pour it in your luber/sizer and you won't have any more leading from your bullets. Works for me. One stick Moly and 1.5 sticks of alox type lube.

I'll chime in on the side for Chore Girl. A strip wrapped around an old bronze brush for a light, snug fit. Cheap, easy, available in any grocery store!

Back