Backup weapons and CCW....

Jedi Oomodo

I have a question for all those out there who CCW- does a CHL cover just ONE handgun, or is it kosher to carry a "main" gun and one or more backups in the case your main fails or is taken? I'm specifically looking for what the various states with "shall issue" CCW laws, and/or Vermont, have to say about how many you may carry with your license. Of course, of particular concern to me is- what is the "legal limit" in Texas? Dennis? Jeff OTMG?

------------------
Lady Justice has been raped, truth assassin;
Rolls of red tape seal your lips, now you're done in;
Their money tips her scales again, make your deal;
Just what is truth? I cannot tell, cannot feel.

The ultimate in vanity
Exploiting their supremacy
I can't believe the things you say
I can't believe, I can't believe the price we pay- nothing can save us
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is gone
Pulling your strings,Justice is done...
Seeking no truth, winning is all,
Find it so grim, so true, so real....

If it isn't Scottish, it's CRAP! RKBA!

I don't think there are many limits on the number of firearms you can carry with your CCW. In some states the CCW must list the revolvers/pistols that you plan on carrying. In others (Texas, I think) if you trained with a semi-auto you can carry either a revolver or a semi-auto, but if you trained with a revolver you are stuck with a revolver until you change your CWP.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

In Arizona you can carry anything (semi/revolver) and there were no limits to numbers or restrictions on which gun(s) (buy a new one, you can carry it that same day. No change in the CCL required) you can carry.

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!

www.quixtar.com
referal #2005932

A similar question was raised to the Texas Department of Public Safety. The DPS response was basically that the Texas concealed handgun law doesn't address the matter of how many guns a licensee can carry on his or her person.

So whether or not to carry a backup is presumably left up to the individual licensee--as long as, like Jim V says, the guns carried are in accordance with the semi-auto or non-semi-auto rating as stated on the license.

In Nevada, you can only carry the gun you qualified with. I think they allow a second, but not carrying concurrently.

Gee Reloader, so they are out to get you too. I usually carry 2, sometimes 3. Nobody said anything about limits so I go with rule #1, More is better.

NY: no limits on number under the concealed carry laws. Of course, if they find you carrying five concealed guns you'll surely be taken aside for questioning, and they can toss you in a box for 48 (72?) hours while they try to find some violation to pin on you, like "possession with presumed intent to sell without a dealer's license".

Nothing mentioned about carrying limits here in FL. I assume you can carry as many as you can conceal. Of course, some of us seem to be better than carrying more than others ;)

Here's another question along the same lines--could another person legally use your gun? I'm thinking along the lines of scenarios where a CCW-licensed is carrying two (or more) guns, and hands one off to a GG (or in the case of Reloader, up to about four on a really good day :) ) to help offset the odds in the face of superior numbers.

jth

------------------
Exodus 22:2 -- Biblical precedent for home defense.

You can in Texas. The legal use of a firearm is a defense to prosecution for illegal carry. I think they figure the grand jury is going to no bill anyway, why waste time.

In Oklahoma the only clue is that in the Self Defense Act "handgun" is used in the singular. As far as an unlicensed individual using a licensee's gun for self defense, the law states that in the case of a vehicle in which a licensee is in, or in close proximity, any other unlicensed person in or around the vehicle cannot be charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon.

It takes quite a stretch of imagination to think of a person who uses someone else's gun in an emergency, a gun that the first person did not possess until a life threatening situation developed, as "carrying" the weapon or having "intent to go armed", which is probably the legal standard in most jurisdictions.

Here in Orange County, California, you have to list all firearms you intend to carry with your CCW. If you have something similar, just list everything you plan to carry.

Back