backpack pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harold

Which of these 3 pistols would be the best for backpacking in the pa woods? 10 mm colt ss delta elete colt 1911 45 acp ruger 45 colt vaquero I reload for all 3 I know its rare to have a problem with a black bear in the penna woods but I did 2 years ago and want to be better prepared this time.

------------------

I don't believe it would be legal under Pa. fish and game laws to carry a semi-auto while backpacking. The last time I looked only single shots and revolvers were acceptable. Kind of narrows down your options. I used to carry either a .22 single action while fishing or a .357 S&W while hiking.
Quantrill

Ruger 45, no question. You gun is just as strong and safe as a Blackhawk (Let no one tell you otherwise). So, for deer you can use a regulal 230 grn load, for bear protection you can get those +p custom handloads, and for snakes and skunks and things you can use a shot lot.

Be safe.

Pa fish and game laws have nothing to do with backpacking and camping.At least not yet. Have always carried a 1911 45acp when camping was thinking of going to a 10 mm 1911 just in case i have a problem like i did a couple of years ago.

I would probably modify the 1911 to use the 45Super. 200gr at 1200fps, 230s at 1100fps. See Triton Ammo page or Ace Custom 45 page, they have all of the particulars. Jim

Harold. I would choose the Ruger .45. Go to (www.sixgunner.com). There is some good data for loads that would be more than sufficient for you bear problems.
Paul B.

Having just returned from backpacking I feel qualified to answer this one:

NONE OF THE ABOVE.

I took a Glock 30 and one spare hi-cap with me on a 27-mile, three-day trip. I thought the Glock would be perfect because of it's light weight. You know what? Even with the polymer frame it's still not light. You think those other guns would be lighter?

If I ever go backpacking again and want to go armed I'd take a serious look at the Taurus Titanium .44 spl or even the S&W Ti .38+P. Anything else really is a lot of weight to carry for something that in all likelihood will go unused. If you have any serious problems with a BLACK bear 99/100 times it was your fault - leaving food out, harassing the bear, etc. If you're worried about human predators, the S&W Titanium .38 would probably suffice.

[This message has been edited by dwestfall (edited August 17, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back