Backpack .22

Halffast

I am looking for a .22 rifle to take backpacking and canoeing. I am leaning toward the Marlin Papoose, but want to get the TFLer's opinions on it as well as the AR-7 and the M6. What do you all think?

Halffast

------------------
"I say that big talk is worth doodly-squat." Granny Hawkins from the Outlaw Josey Wales

i imagine you want to plink small game & targets while out & about...
The Papoose is a nice gun but the lack of a forearm stock is problematic
the AR7 has the same issue http://www.marlinfirearms.com/rim_clip.html

The Browning semi auto 22 is a classic,
that breaks down & the tube magazine won't get lost... http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/rimfires/rimrifls/semiauto.htm

Ya gotta love a company that has the owners manual online!: http://www.browning.com/products/manuals/22semi/semi22.htm

The AR7 will float however

The m-1 carbine wieghs about the same as my marlin 995 22 rifle.. but the ar-7 does float.. food for thought.

Dr.Rob

I have an AR7 and 3 M6's and would proably reccomend the AR7 for you. It is lighter than the M6 and floats(since you specifically mentioned canoeing) but it is allot bigger than the M6 size wise. The M6 is very thin while the AR7 has a big thick stock.
For all around shooting I like my M6's much more than my AR7 but for your wants, the AR7 is the way to go.

NJW in AZ

Halffast,
I have owned a Marlin Papoose for over a year now. It's a great little rifle that easily fits behind the seat of my pickup or in the trunk of my Honda Pacific Coast. Mine is accurate and reliable. I shoot CCI Stingers or Remington hollow points.
I think the Papoose is the best of the bunch for this type of rifle. I'm completely satisfied.

Will

------------------
Mendacity is the system we live in.

Thanks for all your replies. I am still leaning toward the papoose. When I get it, I'll let you know how it shoots. Thanks again.

Halffast

------------------
"I say that big talk is worth doodly-squat." Granny Hawkins from the Outlaw Josey Wales

Halffast

I have an AR-7 also and just love it! I've had mine for over 20 yrs. and the thing works great. It is a lot more accurate than most people think when they first pick it up. Being a floater is a great asset.

------------------
Take Care

I am curious about this question as well. I have heard of the papoose and the AR-7. Which do you think is more reliable? Also, what is the general opinion of the M-6 Scout, which to me looks like a decent backpack rifle.

I've had my Papoose for something like ten years now and have never had any problems with it. IIRC didn't Marlin advertise that, when in it's case, the Papoose would float?
One other thing that may be a consideration is that they both come in a weather-resistant finish also. Stainless maybe, I don't recall offhand.

[This message has been edited by fal308 (edited April 20, 2000).]

Try...Http://www.featherusa.com take a look at their .22,it breaks down and will fit in a day pack. my$.02

------------------
"i do believe that where there is a choice between cowardice and violence,I would advise violence" Ghandi

I have a Browning .22 takedown and have had no problems. It's really a great rifle, but more expensive than most other takedown 22s.

I had an Armalite AR-7 when I was a teenager back in the 1970s. I shot and enjoyed it a lot. It was reliable, and fun to shoot. I never found the lack of a forend to be a problem (I think I just wrapped my hand around the magazine). They are very light (under 3 pounds, I think), so they are probably what I'd pick if I wanted a .22 rifle for backpacking. I know there are several variations available now - the Henry brand AR-7 holds an extra magazine in the stock, but also seems to have a fatter stock that won't let me get my eye down to the peep sight. The others I've tried don't seem to have this problem. Good luck.

Doug

Back