Backhoe or Bucket Teeth as a Reactive Target

Spur0701

I remember shooting an IPSC match somewhere way back in the day where as part of the course of fire there were several used bucket teeth at something like 50 yards that you had to get a number of hits on with an AR....they made a good ping when hit. Before I try to source some anyone have any experience with them, are they hard enough to stand up to say M193 for long enough to be a good cost effective reactive target?

I would think they would do alright. I would be worried about ricochets. If you are going to buy them I would only get a couple to start off. Just to see how they hold up.

I would think they would do alright. I would be worried about ricochets. If you are going to buy them I would only get a couple to start off. Just to see how they hold up.
I think they'd probably hold up alright too. They are pretty hard. I too think Id be a little leary about ricochets.

I take it youre interested in the larger teeth, the ones used on the bigger track hoes?

If youre looking for them, Id check out some local excavating companies. I work for one, and we go through them pretty regularly. They weigh a good bit, even when worn, and usually go into the scrap bin that goes to the scrap yard.

How are you going to hold them?
I would assume you'd suspend them by a cable or something similar. They have holes through them for the locking keys you can attach them with.

50 yards, is really close for a ricochet, as you only have about 1/4 second from trigger to 'ouch', not enough to hear it coming with a handgun or rifle.

If you're going to buy them you better have deep pockets. They are high carbon hardened steel. You cant hurt them with a bullet. Steel targets are not my favorite.

In any case, they seem to be pretty easy to come by.

https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucitsrh/?sl=4KQSCI18024006

and they would be happy to help you.

4KQSCI18024006.jpg

Shooting a rifle bullet at something like a digger tooth is likely to result in bullet fragmentation and/or ricochets at unexpected angles. Poor choice in my book.

Shooting a rifle bullet at something like a digger tooth is likely to result in bullet fragmentation and/or ricochets at unexpected angles. Poor choice in my book.
^^^^^^
Even an AP round will ricochet:

aFBZ4dB.jpg

While the Volvo engine's crankshaft took the worst of it, it did try to return this one to the sender.

Don't be there if it does.

Bill Deshivs said:
Why do people insist on shooting steel targets?
My reasons are:
Information of hit or miss is positive and immediate.
No resetting of targets are needed. (Competition mostly, but also applies to verifying sight settings on rifles or handguns of less than pin point adjustment - like battle sight settings, or specific setting for specific distance targets like High Power Rifle).

Not suited for:
Initial sight in for just about anything. (For first time sight in, I prefer a paper target to show miss impacts, about 12 ft by 12 ft at about 25 yards).

Measuring (hopefully) little tiny groups at specific distances. One cannot measure a bench rest rifle adequately.

Shooting on an indoor or other concrete floored/walled ranges. The fragmented bullets are subject to 'secondary splatter' or ricochet.

Shooting anywhere another firing line or pedestrians are on line with the place of the target face. Specifically two 'bays' separated by a barricade of some type.

Ar500 targets aren't that expensive unless you get into really big ones or silhouettes. I like shooting at steel, but I prefer flat steel hanging or angled downward. I would be Leary of shooting at bucket teeth for reasons already mentioned.

In a (you pick the round / rifle) shootout with the hardened backhoe tooth mentioned above, I’m willing to bet no rounds (hopefully fired from a safe distance) would penetrate a backhoe tooth.
(With possibly an exception to a .50 Mk211 Raufoss, but those are few and far between )

a Worn bucket tooth is worn round, allowing a ricochet from many different angles. I think that would be an unsafe target. Just my 2 cents.

Why do people insist on shooting steel targets?

Because a properly designed and mounted steel target is safe when used in the correct parameters, is reusable, provides instant feedback, and doesn't require constant set-up.

They are not a solution for all shooting needs, but excel in some.

With the availability and relatively low cost of proper AR500 steel targets, however, I wouldn't bother with questionable targets like bucket teeth.

I've been shooting the same 10" x 10" 3/8" thick chunk of cold rolled plate for years. It's set @ 300 meters and shows lots of dings from small caliber (.223) FMJ and full on dents from .308 along with some holes made by 7mm and 300 magnums. It hangs with a slight downward tilt on 2' chains with a railroad tie containment behind it. I've never had a "whizzer" escape this set-up.
The steel is pockmarked over most of the face but that's no issue @ such range. When shooting it over snow, I don't see any "bounce back".
I accept that sooner or later, the target will become unusable but it's easily replaceable. I did purchase an AR 500 1/2"thick 8" diameter plate for a future 200 yard location. At 200 yards many of our hunting rounds would penetrate common plate.
FWIW The common plate targets are less likely to spark.

Back