Back with more questions on the 460

Wendyj

Husband bought a 460 Katahdin barrel for the Encore rifle. I shot it a few times with factory and just being honest it hurt. I cast a 260 grain bullet for a 45 colt and have some lubed and some powder coated. I want to shoot this rifle at 454 pressures which I can handle. I’d like to load up some of my cast with either Unique or AA9 for some reduced loads but all 4 books I have and on line searches show most reduced loads with 300-350 grain bullets and if not mistaken I think Lyman 50th was only one with a load with AA9 and it was in 454. The bullets are quite pricey for the jacketed magnum for me to plink around with. I’m not asking for a load but wondered if someone had an older Lyman that might show loads I could use and copy a page to my post.
I thought of just using 45 colt bullets in it but I’m thinking it may ruin the throat. Any help would be appreciated.

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

The 460 Mag case is so long that a 454 Mag load can develop only 40% of the peak pressure it has in the 454 Mag when placed in 460 Mag case. I think the issue you will have to worry about with #9 in that much space is it it is dense and will not fill the case well, and it may be just slow enough that it will possibly be subject to pressure spikes when the case fill gets below about 60%. It just isn't an appropriate powder for that.

Unique is different. It won't mind the extra space particularly and QuickLOAD thinks you could load up to about 18 grains without the pressure bothering the bullet too badly (about 30-35Kpsi). For more consistent ignition, though, you might consider putting a disc of newsprint or a tuft of polyester pillow ticking over it to keep it in place.

Incidentally, the way I estimate what is safe for low case fill is I assume a condition in which a flame that is thrown across a broad surface area of the powder causes it to light up nearly simultaneously. I model that in QuickLOAD by increasing the burn rate to something very fast and see if that causes pressure to pass the cartridge proof range. With the Unique load I suggested, lighting it up really fast only doubles the pressure, which is still below the SAAMI MAP number for the 460 S&W Mag. With just under the minimum safe 60% loading density of #9, though, the fast burn gets to 107,000 psi, and that's my basis for suggesting a load of it spread out over the length of the case could be dangerous.

The bottom line is, #9 just isn't an appropriate powder, while Unique can be made to work.

Uncllenick, I appreciate that information. I have used Unique in the 45-70 with low case fill and got good results but I had data for it. I also used a magnum primer. I’ve got some 2400 and H110 also but from past experience in the 44 mag H110 only worked close to or at max loads. Not sure about 2400. Never used it much.

PowerPistol works well in reduced .460 loads. At reduced levels, cheaper .45 Colt jacketed 250/260/300 grainers can be used.

Few years back, my oldest son bought a Encore with the .460 Katahdin barrel because I was already reloading for my .460 revolver. It was brutal, to say the least, to shoot with my revolver hunting loads. Would only shoot decently with heavy .45 colt loads. Tried for a coupla years to find an accurate load. Never did and my son traded the gun for a 1911. Funny, as easy as it was to find several accurate loads for my revolver, we could never find anything the rifle really likes other than .45 Colt. Hope you have better luck.

The factory federal fusion groups great in it. It’s not anything I’d ever sit at the bench for more than a few rounds. I thought my teeth were going to come out. Hunting with adrenaline rush probably wouldn’t notice. Curious of what the 45 colt brass size eroded the throat of the barrel or not.

The Federal 260 gr Fusions in .460 are actually a reduced load. The bullets used are Speer for .45 Colt and not really intended for legitimate .460 velocities. Specs for it are the same as in the Speer manual under reduced loads. This is why it probably performed okay and was not near as brutal. Not to say it wouldn't work for whitetail deer. Still more oomph than a .44mag or .45 Colt.

Back