Back from the Range

stagpanther

Well, today's outing was a mixed bag.

First the good news--after clearing my breech plug yesterday of a very stubborn obstacle (couldn't have been carbon or plastic) the gun fired completely differently today! After-shot crud build-up was reduced by a factor of 80 to 90 % regardless of powder used--though Blackhorn deffinitely burned cleaner than 777 in my TC Impact. Considering how this is the first time the gun shot cleanly like this I now believe the flash-hole was partially blocked and delivered that way.

Now the not-so-good news--the fuller combustion is sending out a full-on white-out cloud of exhaust--truly no way to see what the results of the shot are for a few seconds : ) The other thing, which I have no idea why is happening--but accuracy seems to be minute of solar system. There was nothing I could do to get repeatable accuracy. In fact, I'm cancelling a hunt tomorrow because I'm not confident I can put an ethical shot in where it needs to go. I'm not discounting the possibility that it might be my bad technique or not the right powder/bullet combo--but at the moment I know I can shoot better with my compound bow.

Yes--I'm swabbing with a dry patch between shots now--doesn't seem to need a solvent since there doesn't seem to be any significant crud in the breech area since getting the flash-hole completely open.

Firing just powerbelts--no sabbots untill Monday.

Last edited:
stop swabbing with the patch, not needed with BH209.

Not sure if you played with charges or not, but thats all part of muzzle loading, load development.

Good luck with the sabots, hope something good comes out of the next range session for you.

Wait until you get your new sabots before you go to the range again. as I have said in previous post and I have also been following your progress and your posts. Thompson Center rifles typically do not like CVA Power belts. if you like the Blackhorn 209 powder, start with 90 to 100 grains by volume and go from there.

Don't bother swabbing between shots.

Clean with smokeless powder solvent after you get home.

I got to thinking about something. After you get your new Sabbots I hope they perform very well for you. However, there could be another possible problem. If your accuracy is not what you expect, you might need to deburr the barrel. If this is the case, hit us up here on the forum, and we will walk you through it.

Whatever happens, don't get discouraged!

accuracy

Well, today's outing was a mixed bag.

First the good news--after clearing my breech plug yesterday of a very stubborn obstacle (couldn't have been carbon or plastic) the gun fired completely differently today! After-shot crud build-up was reduced by a factor of 80 to 90 % regardless of powder used--though Blackhorn deffinitely burned cleaner than 777 in my TC Impact. Considering how this is the first time the gun shot cleanly like this I now believe the flash-hole was partially blocked and delivered that way.

Now the not-so-good news--the fuller combustion is sending out a full-on white-out cloud of exhaust--truly no way to see what the results of the shot are for a few seconds : ) The other thing, which I have no idea why is happening--but accuracy seems to be minute of solar system. There was nothing I could do to get repeatable accuracy. In fact, I'm cancelling a hunt tomorrow because I'm not confident I can put an ethical shot in where it needs to go. I'm not discounting the possibility that it might be my bad technique or not the right powder/bullet combo--but at the moment I know I can shoot better with my compound bow.

I don't use black Horn 209 so can't say specifically about it.
But normal Black powder and Pyro and T7 under full and proper combustion will generate a cloud. Part of the 'fun"

Also as I stated before, I have no inlines and don't keep up on them as they do not interest me. But the basics between them and traditional is the same.

Normally I would agree with the not clean between shots. But this would normally apply to a rifle where you already have it sited in. You're still experimenting and obviously shooting way out in left field. So to keep every thing as equal as possible from shot to shot, I would say swab.
But a problem with dry swabbing you are pushing some of the fouling residue into the chamber then creating a partial blockage and uneven filling of the chamber.
Try swabbing with a rubbing alcohol patch to absorb the fouling. try 2 fresh alcohol then a couple dry.
See if you become more consistent, even if you still are not POA and POI. try 5 loads.
What is the maximum powder load for your rifle per the manual? Inline many times are higher than traditional sidelocks.
If lets say 120 gr. Then yes reduce to 85 or 90 fire 2 shots are they consistent to one general point say less than 4" apart. If so, dial your windage only.
try two more, is the windage now closer? if yes, dial windage again.
When you are about 2" off in windage, check your elevation. Adjust it only. repeat.
Now fine tune your windage.
During this do NOT change powder load or bullet.
Also I would suggest starting at 50 yd because a "1" off at 50 grows exponentially as the distance increases.

Also to save money during this sighting in I would use plain old lead roundballs or plain conicals.
Remember no patch with conicals, but you do need to lube the grooves.
Once you have these sighted in, then try your exoctic sabots etc.

Also Pellets are not always reliable on complete instantaneous combustion, and there is an air gap between each pellet. BH209 is normally harder to ignite.
You may want to go with real BP if possible, with carefully measured loads and try to be as consistent as possible with your ramming pressure.

Also what is the twist rate of your rifle? I missed it somewhere.
Also some barrels may require 200 or so rounds before is starts shooting consistently.
Good luck

DONT SWAB. You will kill accuracy with BH209 by swabbing, its not a nasty crusty producing powder like pyrodex or triple 7.

This is Blackhorn209 in action in my rifle. Notice in the video when I reload, especially the part where the camera is zoomed out and you can see me completely.

Try adding a bore button !!

Even though I don't understand someone's technique, I seldom question it, unless there are safety concerns. Lots of good replies here and for now, here is one that works for me especially when shooting sabot and conicals. .... :)

Put a bore button on top of the propellant and then seat your projectile. ... :)

Be Safe !!!

Thats a Bore Cot, it keeps debris/weather out of the bore while hunting. I was checking to see if it causes any problems with difference in point of impact. It put the 2 shots to the right with the bore cot in place. I think at longer ranges it will be noticed a lot more.

bore cot

Back in the day when doing serious long term hunting.....2 weeks or longer in the field, many times we would get several days of wet weather.
Drizzle, rain, snow etc.
We used plain old scotch tape over the muzzle.
Sometimes a cork on a string. Just remember to remove cork first.

I no longer hunt as much. 30 years older and don't need the meat as back then.

Back