Back from the NRA exhibit

chaz12

It was a good show, well worth going to. About the only issue was that it was insanely crowded. There were a couple of things I wanted to see, but I couldn't get near them and never got back to them.

A couple of things stood out for me:

The Rossi 1892's were very good. I had an older LSI import model that was pretty rough, and I ended up getting rid of it. The Braztech model I saw at the show had excellent fit and finish, the sight dovetails were aligned properly, and it cycled very smoothly. In fact, I would say the action was smoother than the $1200 Japanese Winchester 1892.

The Uberti Cattleman Cody is a fantastic looking revolver. The simulated ivory grips are not just white plastic. They have an ivory color and simulated grain. Very nice. Wish they offered them in 357, but they only come in 45.

Not a cowboy action rifle, but Marlin had on display a new 336 with a 24" barrel and the short magazine tube, looking very similar to their 1895 series. The design is really eye catching. The stock is very nice walnut, but unfortunately the fit of stock to metal left something to be desired. It's a common problem on the new Marlins. They did not have an 1894 on display for some reason.

Uberti and Taylor had most of their percussion revolvers on display, but I didn't see anything new to comment on. I did not remember until after I left, but I never saw a booth from Pietta who was scheduled to be there. I thought I walked every square foot of the place, but I must have missed them...or else they never made it to the show.

The venerable navy arms who was a pioneer in percussion and western reproductions has only two products now: a very nice 1873 winchester, with mods for cowboy action shooting, and a 1903a4 sniper model which includes a reproduction of the weaver scope. Not sure how they stay in business with that limited of a catalog.

Chaz

Back