Baby rolling block

I have a custom .22 roller, but definitely not a down-sized "baby" action.

IMHO, empty cartridge removal from the action, since they only have an extractor, can be problematic for a youngster.

I would respectfully advise the consideration of a T/C HotShot .22 single shot (under $200) for a youngster, instead.

They're even available in different colors/finishes/camo

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/youth_hot_shot.php

silo-745-hot-shot-black.png

This may not be helpful since they're no longer in production, but I started off with a Remington No. 6 rolling-block .22, and it's still one of my all-time favorites. If you happen to come across one for a good price, I recommend it highly as a "starter rifle" for a young child:

W127079T%20Remington%206.jpg

Is there a specific reason for wanting a rolling block? A trip to any gun show and many gun shops will usually turn up several used .22 rifles suitable for beginners. mostly bolt action. I don't recommend a semi-auto, lever or pump for a beginner for a number of reasons, mainly the difficulty of single loading.

But Winchester, Remington and Savage made millions of single shot and box magazine fed bolt actions that are great to learn with (the box magazine can be removed to make the rifle single shot). And they are not expensive, usually running $100-150.

Jim

The truth is I've been interested in rolling blocks for years. But I live in an area where a large caliber rifle makes no sense. But a grandchild might be an excuse for a rimfire version. That would be fun for me and for for the young one too.
The Uberti model looks pretty good. I was hoping to hear from some one with first hand experience,

The Savage/Stevens "Favorite" is a rolling block .22. Not sure how much they cost new. I've seen them used for under $200.

Good guns, my granddad's still works and it's over 100 years old.

savage made a falling block(not a true RB in .22 and .22mag, good little rifles and can be found used at a good price, i owned a uberti RB in .22 and .357 mag. both were fine rifles, but are high priced today. i used the .22 to shoot rats in the horse barn with cb and bb caps,it was the only rifle that worked well with the short soft copper cases. eastbank.

Actually, the Savage/Stevens Favorites have a swinging block action that only appear to be some other type to someone who's not totally disassembled one.

The breechblock has a lower/forward extension with it's pivot point forward of the rear of the barrel, and when lowered, the breechblock actually travels in a small arc.

AFAIK, the only true falling block Stevens was the Model 44-1/2.

I second the recommendation on the Model 6 ... I saw one a while back and ended up making myself one from steel bar stock, some walnut and a take-off barrel from a Ruger 10/22 (actually 3 barrels, my "Mod 6" runs 22LR, 22MAG and 17HRM). It is simple as dirt to use and very lightweight.

Saands

I was always told the Favorite was a rolling block, I guess I was misinformed.

You might be able to find a Stevens Maynard Jr.

Here you go ...

attachment.php

Top to bottom: 22LR, 22Mag, 17HMR

attachment.php

It's been so long since I made this that I forgot about the 8x57 Mauser barrel :o ...

I used Ruger 10/22 bbls for the 22LR and the 22Mag, but I used an old barrel off of a Turkish Mauser for the 17HMR ... it was the perfect host for a .17 caliber liner from Brownells :D

Saands

Attachments

• DSC_5179.JPG
    DSC_5179.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC_5182.JPG
    DSC_5182.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 188
Back