baby eagle

gossamar

Inactive
I'm looking at getting a Magnum Research Baby Eagle - compact soon. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who either has one or has fired them. I would also be interested in hearing anyone's view on if there is any notable difference between the Magnum Research version and the UZI version?

I have the full size baby eagle. I feel that is THE best gun out there for the money! Accurate and 100% reliable. I would imagine that the compact is just as good.

Gossamer, welcome to TFL. I have the IMI jericho 941 9mm, currently have approx. 300 rounds thru mine with zero malfuctions. The Uzi eagle, baby eagle and jericho are all the same pistol, manuf.in Israel. IMI farms out the construction of the frames, slides and barrels to Tanfoglio in Italy. Tanfoglio ships these components to Israel where IMI takes over supplying all remaining parts, and final assembly. It's a very well built, sturdy gun I say buy one today and two tommorow. P. S.> Don't forget what to do when?/if the feds come knocking on your door to confiscate your firearms. sincerly, Ammo first.

I have the MR Baby Eagle compact in 40SW with steel frame and frame mounted safety. I paid $321 new. I bought a FIST #10 holster for it and the gun has not malfunctioned so far (about 180 rounds). Finish is kind of rough especially around the front sight but I had decided before I bought it that I was not going to worry about the finish on this one since it would spend a lot of time in the car, in the woods, etc. It is plenty accurate for me. I bought it for price, caliber and because it can be carried either cocked and locked or on safe with the hammer down. If I was going to do it again I would probably go with the polymer framed version since the steel framed one is relatively heavy. I think the polymer framed version has a slide mounted decocker though. They sell for $384 in OKC.

[Edited by bubbaturbo on 02-15-2001 at 09:46 AM]

Baby Eagle

I have the IMI Baby Eagle in 9mm. A real good handgun, no complaints with it at all ;) If you get one I'm sure you won't be disappointed ;)

sounds promising

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like this would be a good gun to go with. I still have a small dilema though. I've handled the 9mm before and found it to be a very comfortable fit, but obviously, why settle for 9mm if you can get .40? Therefore I'm wondering if anyone has handled both of them and can tell me if the .40 is noticably bigger, or about the same size?

single or DAO

I keep getting different answers, can anyone tell me for sure whether the Magnum Research Baby Eagle Compact is single/double action or double action only?

The pistol has a decocker, right? I think that makes it DA/SA...

Not to change the course of the thread, but there is nothing wrong with either the .40 or the 9mm... each has it's advantages, provided good ammo choice and the shooter does their job. If you shoot the 9mm well... you might want to take a second look at it.

For some reason, the front of the slide looks a little different than the CZs I've seen... I know side profile looks like a clone, but is the slide the same?

Gossamar,
Be warned. The current production imported by Magnum Research are all DA/SA w/decocker, BUT there are some DA only models out there. If you want the DA/SA model, make sure that is what you are getting, BEFORE you place the order. The new ones only come with ONE 10 round mag. You can pick up 13 round FACTORY mags for the compact at CDNN for 29.99.

I have the full size in 9mm, and it is one of the best shooters that I own.

Krept,
The Baby Eagle, CZ-75 & EAA Witness are all cousins, loosely based on the HP. Unlike the CZ & EAA, the Eagle uses a full length frame, and it's slide is shaped to make it look more like it's big brother, the Dessert Eagle. The Eagle is also the heaviest of the three, and unlike the other two, has polygonal rifling (just like the Dessert Eagle). At least for me, my Eagle is more accurate than my CZ-75. Even though I really like my CZ, if I was limited to one, I'd have to pick the Eagle.

The Baby Eagle from Magnum Research that I have does not have a de-cocker, but has a frame mounted safety allowing cocked and locked carry. It is S/A OR D/A for the first round.

It is heavy, but no more than other steel frame full size pistols. It is also reliable, and is very accurate with most ammo.

Bob,
How old is yours? Mine was manufactured in January of 2000, and has a slide mounted decocker/safety, that works the same way as Beretta's. Engaging the decocker/safety drops the hammer, and disengages the trigger. It seems as if your's is much closer to the CZ/EAA design.

Gusgus,

Mine is about six years old. I believe it was imported by Magnum Research, fitted and assembled by IMI, with many components from Tanafoglio. These earlier Baby Eagles were closer to the Jericho, which was the direct ancestor.

At the time mine was acquired, they were also available with the slide mounted safety/decocker.

It may be my particularone, but the S/A trigger seems a little better than most pistols with the de-cocker/safety.

had a baby eagle fs in .40. while fairly well made, the trigger was very hard to learn. iv'e got a cz 75b sa now, no comparison. go with the original, it only costs about ten bucks more, maybe twenty. i seem to have an opinion on this.
kdub

Back