Baby Browning

R.O

Hi ,I am a new member on the forum, with my first post
this is my first Belgian gun and I want to know when it was made?
what is the value? thanks on any info
1032755.jpg

1032752.jpg

I've no idea whatsoever on valuation, but that eggplant-colored case is a hoot! Is it original to the pistol?

I think so,maybe it was a special made presentation case,
here is another pic,looks original to me even the cleaning rod has a perfect fitt
1032753.jpg

I have an absolutely beautiful Baby Browning (like 99%, seriously) I picked up from the Cabela's used cabinet for $375. Gunbroker has auctions going for $400-600.

OK its FN Baby but we need you to write down what is on the slide. I know I can not read it from the pictures and is this blue, nickel, or aluminum? It does not look like the satin gray from what I can see. I'm going to guess that its blue and says Fabrique Nationale on the slide.

If this is true:

100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
550 475 400 350 250 200 150

So not a national treasure so we'll see you at work tomorrow!:D

Still very cool!

sorry, the case is aftermarket.
you're gun will bring the upper end of $400-600 range. $550 would be a good asking price if you're selling.

thanks guy ,damn ,i tought it was at least two grand:D LOL

and yes it reads fabrique national de guere ,liege belgique

FN Baby or Baby Browning? Aren't they the same gun?

There is always confusion between the Baby Browning and the earlier FN Browning Model 1906, but they are different guns, with the latter being almost the same as the Colt Vest Pocket Model 1908.

Jim

I thought so, the only differences being the markings and the grips. That gun came out in the 1930's but was not imported here until 1954 when the old Colt-FN agreement went away. IIRC, in the US, that makes the FN "Baby" worth more.

Jim

R.O.,

A very nice FN Baby. I love the case, original or not.

Am I reading the serial number correctly as 61944? If so, it is quite an early example. According to Anthony Vanderlinden's excellent book on FN pistols, production of the Baby started back up in 1946 (about 50,000 were produced between 1932-1940). Vanderlinden's data permits a rough estimate of 1947 as the year when your gun was manufactured.

thanks Jim ,j-framer thanks for mentioning the year it was made ,i thought it was made late fifthies, to me the case looks original to the gun , the name "baby browning" is used too often for these guns, but I think Browning was not alive anymore when this gun came in to production or am I mistaking here?:confused:

Just to be clear, the year 1947 was an educated guess based on available data, not a rock solid fact.

And yes, Mr. Browning was indeed dead by the time the Baby first became available on the market.

Browning died before even the High Power came out, and he had little to do with the final design. But FN had found that the Browning name had magic, so they continued to use it. The interesting thing is that Browning never really "worked for" FN. He was an independent designer who could sell his ideas to any company, depending on where he got the best deal. After his death, his family set up a company in the U.S. that licensed his designs.

But back before WWI, Colt and FN made a "no competition" agreement that Colt would not sell its products in Europe and Asia and FN would not sell in North and South America. This held until the 1950's, when those agreements were outlawed. Not until then was the FN "Baby" and other FN-Browning pistols imported into the U.S. by the Browning company.

Jim

FN Baby Browning 1932

Hello
Tell me please address of guns shops in the New York, where I can buy spare details for FN Baby Browning 1932.

Hello
Tell me please address of guns shops in the New York, where I can buy spare details for FN Baby Browning 1932.

You've posted in two different threads, but in case you didn't see the other one, try www.e-gunparts.com (West Hurley, NY), and in particular, this link:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=1312

FWIW, parts from the Bauer .25 acp pistol will generally interchange as well as those from Precision Small Arms .25 pistols. (PSA was allegedly licensed by FN to manufacture the "Baby" in the U.S.)

Last edited:
I had the Bauer which is a SS copy of the Baby. It was very well made!

If my memory is correct the Baby pistol and the Bauer use the firing pin as the ejector. The extractor pulls the fired round until the firing pin pokes back out the pin hole and flips the cartridge out the port. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Flash

Back