axis vs 770

smokin' barrels

I'm looking at 2 affordable options for a .270, a Savage Axis or Remington 770. both come in a combo package with a Bushnell scope and a case. anyone have experience with either models in that same caliber?

I have a Savage Axis in .223 Rem and it's an absolute tack-driver. I did not stick with the scope that came with it (I had a nice Burris ready for it). For the price, you can't beat it. The action is silky smooth and the matte finish holds up very nicely. The trigger is fairly crisp, but I still wish it came standard with the Accu-Trigger for adjustment purposes. I bought it mainly for varmint hunting and took a groundhog out at 302 yds with hand-loads the first time in the field.

I haven't fired either, but I have handled both, and I liked the Axis a lot better than the 770. They both feel kind of cheap, but the action on the 770 was sloppy and stuck a lot (this is on several rifles handled at 6 different stores, so it is not just one bad one). The Axis, of course, didn't have the silky smooth feel that you get with higher end rifles, but the mechanics of the rifle just felt better and more confidence inspiring than the 770. I hope this helps!

I'm a Savage fan yet I have no love for the Axis. The Stevens 200 was/is a better budget priced gun and I personally think Savage made an opps. But by all reports the Axis a workable, accurate gun while the 770 is prehaps the worst excuse for a centerfire bolt gun in the last 20 years. The Axis wins hands down.

LK

Savage all the way. I recently bought an Axis in 223. I wouldn't buy the package, if you want a trashy scope on it just spend an extra $39 at walmart. Anyways, my Axis is accurate. 3/4" groups while breaking it in. But, I really don't like the stock that well. Seems quite flimsy. I also have a Stevens 200 in 30-06 purchased a few years ago. Accurate, light, yeah the stock isn't a Bell & Carlson, but it's not bad, seems more solid than the Axis stock. In my opinion, (for what it's worth), for a cartridge like a 270, try to pick up a Stevens 200. If not, then the Axis should be quite seviceable. But I would stay away from the 770.

bull bob

Axis, the 770 is a POS.

I know the 770 is a waste of money, but I'm not convinced the Axis is any better. Along with the 770 I'll also add the Mossberg rifles to my never buy suggestions. The jury is still out on the Axis. It is not that any of them are dangerous or won't shoot. I've seen examples of the Axis, 770, and Mossberg that all shot quite well. It is long term value that concerns me. All are disposable rifles. They sell cheap and are almost worthless on the used gun market. When a part breaks it is cheaper to just throw them away than get them repaired. They are designed for someone who wants to shoot a box of ammo a year and the occasional hunt.

The Sevens 200, Marlin XL-7, Howa, Vanguard, Savage 111, and Ruger American,and others, are all better than either and are only slightly more expensive. In 2months you will forget about the extra money and in 10 years you will understand how much of a bargain it was to spend $50 more today.

The Sevens 200, Marlin XL-7, Howa, Vanguard, Savage 111, and Ruger American,and others, are all better than either

I'll agree with most on this list, but I don't think the Ruger American has been on the market long enough to really include it with the others. I'm not saying it is not good, but it just hasn't had enough time to establish whether it's reliability, accuracy or resale value will stand the test of time.

Not trying to start an argument, just wanting to be helpful.

Quite honestly, I'd save my money for a while and not purchase either. No sense spending money on junk when you can save a little more and buy something that will last a good while. You can buy a Savage 111 for a few dollars more or a 700 SPS and add/change parts out over time to get something you'll shoot a lifetime if you want. There's a reason those guns have the price points they do and long term quality isn't it. Cheap guns with cheap glass result in cheap results, might not be right away but its going to happen eventually.

okay, well if I'm looking for something more reliable, what is a better bolt out there? my limit is about 600-700 dollars. The reason i asked about the Savage and Remington is because they were cheap and that threw up my red flag. I'm a browning man, so a used one of them wold make me happy!

Really, I'd go take a look at the Stevens 200, its comparable to the Savage 110, which is a truly fine rifle. The money spent,,,,, no regrets later,,,, and you'll probably keep it longer than those other two rifles mentioned by the OP.:)

The Sevens 200, Marlin XL-7, Howa, Vanguard, Savage 111, and Ruger American,and others, are all better than either and are only slightly more expensive. In 2months you will forget about the extra money and in 10 years you will understand how much of a bargain it was to spend $50 more today.
Good point,unless you're looking for a stainless rifle in which case the Axis can't be beat.
Ruger American
No track record on this either,and considering Rugers history of the last few years I fully expect a recall soon.

Lockedbreech nailed it. I shot my brothers 770 in .270 and it was shooting sub-moa till it heated up but that was the only thing I liked about the rifle. There is no way I would buy one. Bottom of the barrel for me would be a Vanguard, Howa 1500, T/C Venture, Remington SPS and maybe the Ruger American. I have a couple H&R Handi-rifles that are inexpensive and damn good shooters but they are single shot.

axis all the way

Ive got the axis in 22-250. I only have around 50 rounds through it. Save the money on the combo and get some glass that will complement the caliber. For me I went with a redfield ( previous model) but the gun shoots dime groups at 100yds and silver dollar at 200. That's with factory ammo. I admit not the best but out shoots my abilities and expectations so far. Granted not a fan of synthetics and trigger pulls like a plow but am happy for the dollars I spent on it.

You'd be better off saving for a 700 or Savage 11 as others have said.

Or, if that isn't an option, hunt down the local pawn shops for a used one in good condition...lots of them in my neck of the woods as people dump some goods outta the safe that aren't used to pay the bills.

I got my Winchester model 70 for around $700 ($690 I think, tax and all)...its a 30-06, the Ultimate Shadow version.

The best built rifle I've bought in a long time...I don't much care for the stock, but I can change that later.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX!

Back