Awwwwwwwww.... CRAP!

dwesson445

Well, since it looks like I have to bob the barrel on my 625 to shoot IDPA (either that or use my bottom feeder) I thought I'd ask you guys...

Do I go to a 4" or 3" tube? I know several shooters who really like the 3", but my other N Frames are 4" and I like the balance.

Suggestions...

1. Cut the current 5" back?
2. Buy a replacement in 3 or 4"?

Thanks in advance...

BB

Don't mutilate the 5" barrel, it's a great barrel length which looks just right on the 625. Get a replacement barrel in 4", or a spare gun with a shorter tube....but have mercy on that 5" 625.

I second the 'don't mutilate'! Suggest you pick up a 4 inch. Not much difference in concealability than the 3 inch, but just a hair longer for accuracy. I have always favored the 4 inch, just personal preference.

Now that S&W doesn't pin the barrel, changing one out is pretty easy. I second putting the 4" on the gun and keeping the 5".

Jim

Looks like everyone is pointing at option two. I'll have to agree with them. Don't cut that barrel!

From what I understand, Smith doesn't stock any 4" replacement barrels. Those 4" guns are hard to find, but probably worth it. Isn't the 5" gun suitable until October of '02?

I've always felt the 5" bbl is perfect on the N-frames. I would advise you buy a 4" replacement bbl.

Only one problem grasshopper....

All these suggestions about "install a 4" barrel" make it sound easy. Only one problem, where are you going to find a S&W 4" barrel? The M625 in 4" was very limited production by itself, if you have a line on 4" replacement barrels, I'd like to know. The guns are virtually impossible to find, and would certainly be easier than finding a factory 4" barrel.

I'd say that cutting and refitting the 5" would prolly be your only "easy" choice, even though it makes most of us shudder.
Here is a replacement front sight that is pert near factory looking.
http://www.jackweigand.com/interfs.html
Weigand says it's for the M686, but I've gotta believe it would work on a M625 as well.

........SmithNut

Another solution. We have been getting 5" barrels from S&W and shortening them to 4". I advise keeping all the sight radius you can for IDPA. We install our Interchangeable Front Sight System. Now you have the correct barrel length and the ability to quickly interchange front sights. The system is at the following link.
http://www.jackweigand.com/interfs.html
We are building quite a few IDPA revolvers with this setup. We also have a new rear sight blade for the S&W coming out in 40 days or so.
God Bless
Jack Weigand

Welcome

Welcome Jack Weigand, "junior member." ;)

I've got three or four scopes mounted on Weigand bases. Never a problem.

Regards.

So what are the price alternatives?

1. Cost of new barrel and installation by gunsmith?

2. Cut the 5" to a 4" and install a new front sight?

Thanks, guys... I really appreciate the input.

Brian

I have an altenative no one has suggested so far. Find out which dimwit at IDPA decided to outlaw the most available 45 ACP revolver in favor of one that has only been produced in very limited quantities. Who ever that was, complain LOUDLY and get the stupid ruling changed.

PS: Keep in mind, S&W never offered a 4" version back in the M-25 or 1955 Target Model days.

Dave,

You're absolutely right. I thought about s**tcanning my membership to IDPA since they were forcing me to spend money on a perfectly reasonable gun. I thought it was ironic IDPA has gone to great lengths to keep equipment affordable and then this crap came up. Given the organization's philosophy of "Our way or the highway" I figured complaining would be pointless. Then I reconsidered when I thought I could shoot my 625 in ICORE and something else in IDPA. It's not like I had some ridiculous speed advantage shooting moon clips over speedloaders.... I can't come up with the money for entry fees fer cryin' out loud...

Oh, well... "Scroom" as they say.

Brian

The Model 25-5 in .45 Colt was offered with 4" barrels. I see no reason why you couldn't use one of these barrels. Then again, I have no idea as to the avalibility of them.

ALTERNATIVE

Play IPSC; less rules and big wheels welcome (all my Redhawks are IPSC Redhawks).

And when you buy a 4" 610 you can go back to IDPA and their rules...

-----------------------------------------------

"all my handguns are competition handguns"

Apparently, IDPA's focus on "practical carry guns" (which I think is laudable, don't get me wrong) has caused them to decide that 5" N-frames are not practical to carry.

I carry my 5" 625-4 at least one day a week in the gun shop (usually Sundays; it's my "Sunday-go-to-meetin'" gun ;) ). As far as CCW goes, it's ridden in my purse on many an occasion, and I've carried it OWB in the winter under a long jacket, too. Heck, I've seen my roommate carry 5- and 6-inch L- and N-frames IWB before.

IDPA's heart may be in the right place, but sometimes they're a bit out of tune with the membership.

M-624 barrel swap

I had Bill Davis Gunsmithing (while they were still in business) do a barrel swap on my 624. They removed the 6 1/2" barrel the gun came with and put on a 3", which rendered the gun a lot handier for defense work. Worked out real well and I really like the gun much better configured this way. How that jibes with IDPA rules and so on, I can't tell you.

Back