Avoid Kalifornia?

Mossyrock

OK folks, here's the deal. I have to move from Georgia to Washington State this winter (December time-frame). The best route (weather wise) is West on I-10 and North on I-5. Problem: Several so-called "assault weapons" and about 5,000 rounds of ammo for same. Should I avoid Kalifornia at all costs and brave the Continental Divide or just drive through the People's Republik and hope for the best?

------------------
Mossyrock
I wasn't here. You didn't see me. Nobody can prove anything...

Mossy...

Lemme do some checking

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

1)Ammo and guns have to be separated (different containers).
2) Handguns have to be in a locked container, ammo separate.
3) If the "assault weapons" are legal in GA and in WA, then transport thru CA is ok so long as you don't sell or give one or all to a CA resident.

Shouldn't be a problem

------------------

Thanks, DC. Now I can only hope that any cop who stops me knows that.....

------------------
Mossyrock

Don't bet on it. When the Roberti-Roos "assault" weapon ban went into effect, the Department of Justice was supposed to provide training for local law enforcement so they would know what was legal and what wasn't. This was 1989. To date there has been zip training from the Department of Justice.

------------------
Bruce Stanton
CDR, USN-Ret.

OK, if Kali is out for a route, does anyone have any suggestions? I will be driving a U-Haul van, so snow and I are a major no-go.

Given the choice, I would rather not loose my FN.....

------------------
Mossyrock

Mossy-
How 'bout a compromise. Ship to an FFl in Washington state. Take only the personal weapons you absolutely require. (This cuts it down to less than a dozen, in my case.)
wink.gif

Rich

Or get some official Kalifornia government-type person/agency to send you an official copy of the official law. If you're stopped, at least one cop in the Earthquake State will get that training!

Uhhh...the government will give a lowly citizen a copy of the laws they're expected to flollow, right?

DC???

-boing

[This message has been edited by boing (edited June 16, 1999).]

This is the DOJ website concerning firearms info. http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms /

I don't believe Mossy has to take a less than safe and efficient route. Just bury the guns under the rest of his stuff inside the U-Haul.
He's not transporting drugs and we aren't New Jersey (yet).

------------------

I would request this information from the California Attorney General's office. On official letterhead the cops will have a hard time charging you as long as you are following the drill prescribed.

The problem is that the CAG is notorious for giving out bogus info. There is the true story of the FL guy who wanted to move to CA...he wrote and asked about which guns were legal and told them what he had. He got rid of the guns they said were verboten...trouble is that they lied (AG Dan Lungren). A few years later when the guns were banned they contacted the guy and he had to prove he never brought it into the state. AG Lockyer is a notorious liar and manipulator.

You guys are making the assumption that he will be stopped and searched. One, that is absurd and two, if he was then fishing out a letter will not stop the process. If he is indeed stopped and searched he will go to the station and it would be worked out there, with or without a letter.

Call the GOC and Calif-NRA.

------------------

I'm pretty sure that there's a federal law that says you can drive through any state, as long as your firearms are legal for your starting state and your destination.

If you don't want to chance it, just ship them to yourself at the new address. Since it's not a transfer, there's no requirement that they be shipped to an FFL (AFAIK).

Remember civil disobedience? Some years back a really ingenious acquaintance told me, "if you don't know the answer, don't ask the question." No, that's not a misprint.

Shut up, you never asked, you don't know nuthin', where the hell is California anyhow, I'm on a highway going to XXX, ignorance couldn't get any better as an excuse.

Researching all the doodley laws in each and every state is equivalent to bowing down and begging forgiveness for being human. Pack what you need to pack, go where you need to go, mind your own business and IGNORE stupid local laws which are clearly unconstitutional anyhow.

Larry P.

------------------
When the Mexican Army demanded the surrender of a cannon by the people of San Jacinto, the answer they got was "Come and take it!" Thus began the first battle of Texas' war of independence.

My dad says that sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. I wouldn't say anything. Just quietly and unobtrusively go about your business.

Mossyrock, I'd take DC's advice.

I'd also make an effort to imitate a Sammy Straightarrow, American middle-class type. At least give the appearance, even if you don't believe in it. It's a "profile" which can keep you out of searches...

FWIW, Art

Art,

I've taken (small) steps in that direction. Since I started wearing polo shirts and Dockers (instead of black t-shirts and jeans), my harassment level has dropped off to zero.

"Sell out! With me, oh yeah, sell out!..." --Reel Big Fish

Keep a low profile? No problem. I am your basic, clean-cut Army Officer-type. Funny, though; the longer I am in the Army and see what our governmet is up to, the more I want to move back to Alaska and become a professional hermit...

I think I will just go the "willful disobedience" route, bury the guns and ammo at the bottom of the truck and drive on.

Thanks for the advice, all...

------------------
Mossyrock

DC et al, while we're on the subject of California ...

If I have my handgun unloaded, and in a locked safe on the floor behind my driver's seat, is it legal to have a loaded magazine in my console? I just bought a great Mossberg safe, so I can store my firearm with a bit more security for those few times when I just can't take it with me.

I was told the other day that CA considers a loaded magazine to be the same as a loaded firearm. True?

My intent is to obey their law, but still put myself in the position where the firearm can be brought to bear quickly if necessary.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited June 19, 1999).]

I believe you're right in that California considers a loaded mag a loaded gun. If you don't consent to a search, they would have to get a search warrant to open the locked case. If a loaded mag was found, that would most likely amount to probable cause.

I've been stopped numerous times in CA and haven't been searched since I was a punk kid (driving like a punk, too). While I was in the military, I usually got no hassle whatsoever.

Back