Availability of Sig 229 in 9mm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwong

Visited three stores this past weekend looking for a 229 in 9mm.. All three stores didn't have one, and all the dealers said that they are hard to come by lately.. One guy said that it has been discontinued for civilian sales... Anyone know what is up with this? Or am I just having bad luck trying to find one in my area... Thanks in advance...

I, too, had trouble finding the same gun in the Los Angeles area. I finally found a dealer (Action Arms, in Lake Elsinore) who would take the effort and track one down for me. Everyone says "the balance is better" on the 228 in 9mm, but I've had no problems. It's my first handgun, and I've found it to be very accurate. My only regret was not getting it in .40 and then getting a factory .357 and an after-market 9mm barrel for ultimate versatility. Consider that option. As it stands, now I must also buy a P220 for some more firepower.

They are out there it is just tough to find one. Since the same gun is available in .40 and .357 those calibers are more popular.

Thirty_Handicap, are you sure that all you would need is a 9mm barrel? it seems that one would need a whole new slide.....just curious. Looking for an economical way to use all my left over 228 mags.

BW:
You're right. You must get a new barrel, spring, slide and magazine to convert to 9mm. The slide face is too big for the 9 barrel, the spring too strong, and the mags for .357 and .40 will not work with the 9mm.

Well, i just finished talking to bar-sto and sig the .40 version or /357 sig version of the 229 can be changed out with just the barrel. you can buy the special 9MM barrel for the p229 just let them know you have a .40/357 version of the gun, bar-sto stated you dont need to change springs or slides and that the 9mm bullets will work and feed in the .40 clip i havent tried the clip thing yet but have had other people mention about changing barrels with no problem. i am about to make the jump to the other barrels my self. if someone has done this jump in.

The 9mm 229 has not been discontinued for civilian sales. The 228 and 226 (in 9mm only) have been. I think it's only an issue of Sig needing them for government and law enforcement sales, and not a conscious effort to deprive the civilian gun-buying public of two of it's finest pistols.

I have had a 229 which I bought in .357 and then bought a .40 barrel for. You can pop one out and pop the other in in the same range session. But wait intil the first has cooled down (ouch!). The gun was stolen from my apartment a few months back, and has since been replaced with a new (used) one in .40 only. The 9mm conversion I have not tried. But I would like to get another .357 barrel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back