Autos least sensitive to limp wrist jambs.

Rover

Inactive
What 9mm or .380 autos are least sensitive to limp wrist jambs. Is mild of hot ammo least sensitive to limp wristing? My wife has this problem with the SIG 226.
How would the H&K p7m8 compare?
How about Glock 19 & 17?
A revolver is the default solution.
She has trouble however hitting with a revolver double action only, although she does well single action.

Rover,

You've covered all the bases. Except the 1911. :) Strangely enough my petite wife did very well with the 1911. The H&K is another favored gun for that problem.

Giz

------------------
"I don't make enough money to buy cheap stuff" - Mark Manning

I've actually tried to limp wrist my Glock 19 with no success. It eats anything and everything with nary a burp. I've held it with only middle finger and thumb and fired it (with first finger)with no problems.

[This message has been edited by SlackO (edited December 03, 1999).]

Hi, folks,

This seems to contradict SlackO's experience, but generally the heavier the better. Something has to resist movement of the gun or the frame will come back with the slide and cause a jam. I have not tried it, but I wonder if the number of rounds in the magazine (which, of course, are part of the frame weight) in the Glock would make a difference.

Jim

Try firing your Glock with the weak hand...that's the only way I could limp-wrist mine (and still had to work for it). I dislike G17 as a plinker or target gun (it is neither) but I have come to admire the dogged reliability.

The only time I tried to cause a limp wrist malfunction was with a Beretta 92FS. I was shooting 147 grain Hydra Shocks( I had read that such subsonic rounds are more likely to cause limp wrist failures). Holding the 9mm as lightly as I could in my strong hand, I began firing. The big Italian Beretta not only cycled perfectly but locked back on the empty magazine after the string of shots. Beretta makes a smaller single stack pistol also. You might just want to change ammo first. The lightweight loadings in +P should be the most reliable for shooters with weak hands.

To my own experience lighter 9mm autos (like Glocks and Walther P99) give more easily problems with limp wristing than heavier guns. The exception might be HK USP Compact; it is light, but at least mine works well even when held loosely.

Since your wife has that problem with Sig 226 that gun probably does not fit comfortably to her hand. Gun/shooter-fit is individual, and something that feels comfortable to you might not be that for her. I know that some small-handed persons use guns with large grips very well, but to others that makes big problems. The other thing is recoil; people might limp wrist because they anticipate recoil they experience uncomfortable (that feeling is also individual), and therefore I think a hotter load is not a solution, a milder might be (if that gun is reliable with mild loads).

Since you ask about 9mm and .380 that is probably the level you wife can handle quite comfortably. I think you should look for guns that fit well to her hand; that might mean grips with single-stack magazines, or compacts with double-stack. Also, the gun should not be too light for the recoil to avoid limp-wristing. I think you could try 9mm HK USP Compact, and compare it to .380 Beretta and Taurus models of nearly same size. If problems come even with the 9mm USP Compact a .380 that is relatively heavy to the caliber (but not heavy to hold) might work.

Ossi

Another datapoint for you (for what it's worth)

Oddly enough, I had problems up the wazoo with limp-wristing a rented Glock 17 and factory ammo.

I was getting extraction failure jams every 3 rounds, easily -- I had to tap-rack it to extract the spent case. Not to mention it refused to lock the slide back on an empty magazine...

I assume it's because I kept limp-wristing it (well, that's what the range officer told me)

I then tried out the Beretta Cougar, 92FS, and an HK USP fullsize, and none of them gave me any more limp-wrist problems.

-Jon

Rover,

My wife had trouble with my USP 9; it kept throwing the brass straight back at her and burned her eyebrow, plus she didn't like the recoil. I can't remember if it kept stovepiping on her or not. Anyways, a guy at the range let her shoot a few rounds from his Glock .40 and she like it much better than my HK USP 9. Go figure.

Chuck

From what I have seen, the Glock 9mm pistols are more susceptible to limp wristing when the shooter is female.

On the other hand, the .40S&W and .45ACP
Glocks do not seem to have this problem
when shot from distaff hands.

I'd say that its due to the increased
recoil impulse.

Ed Sanow has demonstrated firing a Glock 30
(.45) using only his thumb and forefinger.
He couldn't make it jam.

The Glock 30 feels about the same as a Glock 19 as far as felt recoil is concerned.

[This message has been edited by dvc (edited December 07, 1999).]

I've heard "limp wristing " is the result of a lightwieght slide on a heavy frame. The WORST example I ever saw was a friend's wife on a rented hi-power it jammed every shot. Her husband and I had no problems at all with the weapon.

The REAL TRICK might be to take her to a rental range and see WHICH gun operates the best for her. It might be a glock, a smith or a colt or a beretta, or you might consider buying her a revolver and stop worrying about her limp wristing the shots. Revolvers don't have failures to feed. ;)

You might have gotten off luck, my friends wife ended up with a pre-ban 226 that cost a LOT of money. Oh well, she's worth it.

Dr.Rob

When my wife first started shooting she complained about the recoil from my Walther P-99.So I began a quest to find the perfect auto for her of 9mm or above.

She tried the following:
Hi-Power 9mm
Glock 17
Walther P-5
Walther P-88
Walther P-88c
H&K USP compact 9mm
CZ 75B
Sig 220 9mm
Sig 220 .45
Kel-Tec P-11
Beretta 92FS Brig.
1911 .45(Kimber)
H&K P7 M8

She hated all of them.
She shoots a S&W LadySmith .357 w/2" barrel,Pachmyer combat grip
and absolutly loves it.
Go figure.
Now if we ever get into a situation that would require the use of a gun I will be able to hide behind my wifes .357 with my little 9mm. :)

Limp wristing is an operator error, not a firearm error....

Best Regards.....
"Train as You Live and Live as You Train"

My former PD issued Glock 17's, with the Federal 124 grain +P+. I was told this was to prevent limp wrist problems (jambs), by the firearms instructor.

Yes or no the load was a hot round, which was OK by me.

How about trying the Corbon they have some hotter rounds, see if the pistol still jambs.

Back