Automatic Weapons - Maintenance

Colduglandon

Anybody got any info on the SAW. Any tips on maintenance. Been a long time since I maintained an automatic weapon. Would like to give advice to my son. Cleaners, lubricants etc.

CLP. CLP, CLP, CLP

Paul,

I assume you're talking about the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon and your son is in either the Army or Marine Corps. If that's the case, the best advice you can give him is to follow the instructions in the -10 to the letter. The military won't be too receptive to any home grown maintenance techniques. No unauthorized cleaners, i.e. water, carb cleaner, gunscrubber, Hoppes #9 etc. No unauthorized lubricants, i.e. motor oil, 3 in one oil, Rem Oil, Militech, silicon spray etc.

I've seen all of these things in my Army career. Stick with the -10 and use lots of CLP, but only where the -10 tells you to. One tip, tell him to be careful about letting the sling droop over the barrel when firing. It will melt to the barrel and be nearly impossible to clean. Watch the length of his bursts or he'll melt the plastic rivets that hold the heat shield in the product improved handguard.

HTH

Jeff

Thanks
He just went back in (NG). Was assigned SAW, used to handle M60 and 50 cal. Will pass your remarks along to him. Thanks for the info.

Back