Automatic weapons laws

travywestside

I've read many threads on the automatic weapons ban.
As far as i understand it is legal to own an automatic weapon if it was manufactured before 1986.

My question is: as a civilian, is there any way to get a permit to own an automatic weapon manufactured after 1986?

You can get permission as a manufacturer or dealer (to enable you to make or sell guns to police, military etc).

However, it is NOT an easy or cheap work around for having guns for personal use. The fees involved are considerable, and you have to really have a business involved.

You could get an SOT. With a Class 3 SOT I believe you can acquire post-86 autos with a Police Demo Letter meaning that a police department wants you to acquire a post-86 gun for the purposes of demonstrating it or selling it to them. You may keep demo guns for the duration of your license. If you get a Class 2 SOT then you are a licensed manufacture and can acquire or manufacture a machine gun if you want. With both SOTs you may only retain the full autos as long as you renew your license and these licenses are not just for personal use. This means that you would need to operate some sort of legitimate business with them. So basically as a civilian there is really no way to get post-86 full autos without going into the gun business.

Back