Automat. Pistole "Duo", F Dušek Opotschno, 6.35mm

JDP

I have an “Automat. Pistole "Duo", F Dušek Opotschno, 6.35mm” made in 1941, and I have bit of an enigma to solve that may take an expert on wartime European guns. If no one on this site can help me, maybe somebody can point to someone who can.

This Duo is in really great shape. Though it is 79 years old, it looks almost new, particularly the blued finish. In fact, the peculiar thing about gun is its finish.

On the left side of the gun, there is a bit of tone difference between the slide and frame. I initially attributed this to differences in alloys used for the slide and frame. The right side of the gun looks the same. But, about a half inch down on the right side of the frame, there is a perfect line where the horizontal polishing used on the entire slide and on the left side of the frame and the top portion of the right side of the frame changes to vertical polishing. I also noticed that the polishing on the left side of the trigger guard is horizontal and that the polishing on the top of the trigger guard on the right side is horizontal, while the bottom portion of the trigger guard, next to the body of the frame, seems to have vertical polishing. I have uploaded a couple 500 MB photos showing the left and right sides of the gun.

As I said, the finish on the frame and slide are in really great shape, and I cannot discern any signs of refinishing/rebluing. And, it really does not make since that anyone would attempt this given that the gun is not particularly valuable. But, if someone did refinish it, wow, what a great job.

Does anyone have a viable explanation for this, or can someone point be to someone who might?

Your pictures didn't show.
In the late 1960s there were many, many of these guns imported. They were all brand new and many showed signs of substandard finishing.
How do you know it was made in 1941? 1941 was WW2, and few pocket pistols were being made.

Thanks for the reply, Bili. "41" was stamped below the walking lion on the slide. See photos.

Attachments

• Barrel Proof.jpg
    Barrel Proof.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 45
  • Year & Proof.jpg
    Year & Proof.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 37
Automat Pistole "Duo", F Dušek Opotschno, 6.35mm

For anyone who is interested, here is what another gentleman sent me:

" Your gun has been refinished. They have removed the round end of the slide lock, which you can see on the right side of the frame. It should have a raised rounded appearance, not flat.

Also, here should be a serial number on the right side of the slide, just below the extractor. The serial number on the left side of the frame has been added later. The last three of the serial number should be stamped on the frame, inside the magazine well. You should see it once you remove the right grip. The escutcheon is also backwards on your gun and the screw is on the wrong side.

The German issued guns had proof marks on the slide, barrel and frame. I don't see any on your gun. It's possible someone took a 1941 slide and put it on a later production frame.''

As disappointing as it is, I think he is 100 percent correct. Once I took off the right grip panel, it was clear the job (vertical polishing) was not quite as good as I thought. There was no serial number (last three) in the magazine well, and now we know why - if the slide was from a different gun, it would not have match the serial on the slide. There were proof marks on the slide and barrel (see photos below) , assuming the walking lion is the proof mark, but there was none on the frame.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Back