Auto w/ pump

adad

I understand Benelli makes a "Practical/Tactical" auto loader shotgun that can also be used as a pump. Just curious how this works. Can you switch from auto to pump instantly by just pulling the forearm? Or do you have to "flip a switch?"

Thanks

------------------
If you value your right to keep and bear arms, support Citizens Of America -- they're doing it right!
Wound Ballistics is the study of effects on the body produced by penetrating projectiles.
Great Daily Commentary from a thoughtful Christian perspective.
Some fascinating insights into the current market mania from the Prudent Bear fund.

The Benelli M3 Super 90 is the pump/auto SG they make. To convert from auto to pump you rotate a ring at the front of the forend about 45 degrees and pull back the forend about an inch. To go back to auto mode you push forwar don the forend and rotate the ring until it locks in the forward position.
It is very easy to do with one hand and it can be done quickly with pratice.

NJW

Very simple to do. Takes maybe 2 secs including the arm motion, maybe even less than that.

It took me a couple days to figure out exactly how to do it though- I must have been seriously impaired that weekend... Now it's totally instinctive.

But I always leave mine in the semi-auto mode, so that my wife does not have to worry about operating a pump if anything ever happened.

As long as we're on this subject, years back I had a Spas 12 folder (sold it for $650 :( )
Anyway, I'm wondering if the Spas 12's with the full stock are as good as the folders, and what might be a good price for one. That button on the foregrip was really easy to activate, and the look of the Spas was enough to put some fear into the BG's.

Thanks,
Dick

As noted, the M3SuperDuper90 is the pump/auto. It can be bought configured for 'Tactical'. Either vertical pistol grip stock/low cap mag or regular grip stock/high cap mag.

The 'Practical' is their competition M1SuperDuper90 with a 26" barrel (with threaded muzzle break, can install regular chokes), MILSPEC ghost ring rear (can attach other optics), oversized controls, speedfeed loader, 9 round mag.

I got a SPAS-12 in the early '90s for about $650 (can't remember exactly) but it was just after the folding stock import ban so it's a fixed stock. Can't really compare between the two as I don't know of anyone who has a folder. The more I think about it, though, I'm satisfied with the fixed. I think those round spring loaded buttons the keep the folding stock locked into the folded or extended positions would eventually wear and make the stock loose. I've seen folders (with the old lever safeties, full length 8 round mags) going for ~$900-$1000 in recent gun shows.

True, the agressive profile of the SPAS is intimidating and it can hold 1 round more than an M3 (with maximum capacity mags) but it does have a few shortcomings when compared tot he M3. It is gas operated, which means O-ring. It is ~2 pounds heavier (although this will help with recoil). It is very long with the fixed stock and a choke. The fore end doesn't slide as smoothly and quickly as the M3's when in pump (in my experience). Also, when you do pump the M3, the action is very loud (intimidating). It's also a higher quality sounding pump than the SPAS or anything else, like a Mossberg.

- Ron V.

Monkeyleg,

I have fired my buddy's SPAS-12, which is a folder. You didn't do so badly, my friend. He bought his SPAS from a friend who sold it for a mere $250!!!

Prices in my area for SPAS shotguns are about $900-1200.

I have not used the M3 Super 90 but I believe the main disadvantage of the SPAS 12 was the weight. That and the lever safety, which was the subject of a manufacturer's recall. :(

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

Thanks for the info. I was curious if this might be a solution for someone who likes an autoloader but wants the extra reliability of a pump. But I guess in a true "tactical" situation the last thing you'll be thinking about is how to switch your shotgun from auto to pump in the case of a feed failure. I thought if you could just pump and continue on in auto mode it would be great.

Thanks

The Franchi SPAS 15 is actually easier to switch between pump and semi-auto than the SPAS 12. The button is positioned on top of the forearm and is pressed by the thumb, and the forearm slides less than an inch rearward to the pump position. I don't use pump mode much, as the gun is very reliable in semi-auto mode, even with target loads. Nice feature to have, but it does complicate the mechanism. Takes less than half a second!

Just a bit of info, a guy at work bought a SPAS 12 'bout 2 months back, good condition, rarely used but never cleaned. The guy selling didn't know the worth - he sold it for (the equivalent of) 90 US dollars!!

Regarding the idea of not being in the right frame of mind to switch between pump and semi-auto in the middle of a real firefight: I went to an IDPA match this weekend that had a shotgun side match after the pistol shooting was finished. The COF was 10 steel targets between maybe 7 and 20 yards. There was a guy who pulled out an M3 which caught my eye (only one there, and one of only a few Benellis). When he started shooting his 2nd or 3rd shot jammed or something, because he started fiddling with the gun. He got it to cycle, and fired again, but then it did something else. He then switched to pump action. That wouldn't be so bad, except that whenever he changed positions (the COF had some moving between cover) he would forget that he had not pumped the gun for the next round. There were some other problems with the gun I think because he had some FTFs even in pump mode (ended up leaving like 6 unfired shells on the ground - didn't ask what happened as I was watching from a ways away). But it does point out that it probably isn't easy to remember which mode you have the gun in.

Thanks for the observation. It makes sense, though. The last thing you want to worry about in a stressful situation is remembering if you have to pump or not.

Back