Auto Ordinance 1911 .45--worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwinnydapooh

Retired Screen Name
I searched for this topic and found nada, so I'm asking now. To be honest, the replies to my clone thread have about convinced me that I can't afford to go with one of those--but I've been told that the Auto Ordinance .45 is not a bad one. I'm sure there are at least one or two owners here--is this a reliable, decently accurate gun that I could use as a house gun and have fun at the range with?

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

With the Auto Ordinance - I would really have to look at the individual gun. I think the use a lot more casting rather than forging. There slides looked cast.
This may not be too much of a big deal - but I break cast metal. So I avoid it when I can.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Gwinny, just how much are you prepared to spend ?
Fom lowest cost....
Eg :Ballester Molina $189.00 Factory refinished, in used good condition. Accepts factory Colt 1911 mags. Very reliable, and inexpensive 1911 variant.
Phone: (775) 359-1220
Seller: HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER
FAX: (775) 359-1066
Mail: bmorgan@gbis.com
To good cost....
M1991 A1 45 cal. $377.00 New in Box
877-buyagun
Phone: (877) BUY-AGUN
Seller: Cobb Hill Firearms
Address: 3218 Cobb Hill Rd.
Cazenovia , NY 13035
FAX: (315) 662-7599
Mail: peter-kc2ph@msn.com
And a whole lot more at http://gunsamerica.com[URL] ...lub.w3.to/"]http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

HS, what I really wanted was to hear pro and con experiences from TFLers, whose opinions I've come to respect. Meaning I'm looking for actual experience with the gun to see if I want to take the chance that I can trust it. BTW, I've seen both those sales. Do you have personal experience with the Ballester? That's an attractive price, I'm just not sure I trust it. OTOH, I've heard good things about Auto Ordinance and I can get one of the no-frills variants for about a hundred less than that Colt, which could help cover the safe I'm going to need once I have it. I'll probably never get to put as many rounds downrange as George, but I DO want the gun to function when I need it.
I think I'll head over to your 1911 site and look around, if ya'll don't mind. I do love info.

And Glock Raider, no thanks for you. I wanted experience, all you gave me was a bunch of pics that make me want one . . . .
:)

------------------
Don

Oops, maybe I should answer HS's question, huh? :o
The Colt is at the outside envelope of what I CAN spend if I want to buy this thing by Christmas. I DO want to have something by Christmas but that's still a lot of time and I want to make sure I get the best I can afford. I was hoping the Auto Ordinance was kind of a compromise between Colt and Ballester, etc. We shall see. And if it turns out that I have to wait longer than that in order to be able to afford acceptable quality, I'll do so.

------------------
Don

[This message has been edited by Gwinnydapooh (edited November 13, 1999).]

Gwinny, being poor white trash, I have one of these. Other than having the trigger polished up a little, that's about all I've done to it. Mine's a older model, say 10yrs or so, so I don't know if they've changed anything or not. Now I'll tell you it ain't as slick finished as some of the higher priced guns, but mine will digest anything I put in it, always goes boom when I pull the trigger, and is reasonably accurate, say 3-4" at 25 yards, sometimes a little better. It rattles, I guess due to loose tolerances, but it can get nasty and still function, which is what I wanted in one. I like it. It ain't no Colt, Wilson,or any of them fancy guns, it just an ol' work horse. You might also look at a Charles Daly. A friend has one and likes it.FWIW!!

------------------
RKBA
www.southernparty.org

[This message has been edited by longhair (edited November 13, 1999).]

Gwinny,

About a year ago I was looking for a 1911 .45. A Co worker is a big time "cheap gun guy" as well as a 1911 fan. He's got about 6 or 7 1911's.

He availed me to his collection of 1911 (high end he a Para Ord and a Springfield Carry Comp, and low end he had an IAI GAL 5000 and a Auto Ord .45).

After shooting them all, I went with the Springfield Armory in thier new "Loaded" version. Of the 1911's he owned, the Springfield was the only one that was reliable. The lower wnd pistols were really crappy, not something I would ever trust my life to. Feeding jams were the rule. On the Para Ordnance, I would say maybe, but a reliability package would be required.

I think that's rediculous. Have you seen the sticker prices on those things? They ought to work "out of the box".

I would say to answer your question, save up for a Springfield "Loaded". They are the most bang for your buck 1911s on the market. I love mine. 100% reliability so far.

If cash is an object (which I'm sure it is...I'm right there with you on this), go with the .357 wheel gun option. Not as sexy as an auto pistol, but you can get a quality .357 for what you would spend on a low end (junk) 1911.

Avoid Colts. Morons making crappy guns.

Just my opinion, FWIW.

------------------
Dan

Si vis pacem para bellum!

Check me out at:
<A HREF="http://www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm" TARGET=_blank>

www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm</A>
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

Thanks guys! This is more what I had in mind. Only problem is that now I've got 1 yea and 1 nay. :)
I think I'll go ask on the smithy forum but keep this discussion going. It's a sticky question but I think it's a good discussion emerging. I had thought about the Charles Daly, BTW--somebody's got a Charles Daly/KBI on Gunsamerica.com. I assume this means Daly built the gun by starting with a KBI clone? Maybe that's the best of both worlds--I can't help but think if it's customized by a small shop I have a great chance of having the little details taken care of than even a quality company like Springfield or Kimber.
Think I'll also check the Auto-Ord and IAI warranties. Sounds like lemons are everywhere so maybe the warranty is the most important feature . . . .

------------------
Don

I don't trust Auto Ordnance 1911s. I don't think their foundry (or subcontractor) does too good of a job. I've seen their 1911s and also don't think too highly of their workmanship. Just one man's view.

I have 45's 40's 9mm's up the yazoo Kimbers,Smiths, Paras, Glocks, Hk's Sig's but the gun that keeps me safe is my Smith&Wesson Model 686 357 mag loaded with 158 gr. Speer Gold Dot.

But if a revolver is not your thing I have heard good things about Ballester Molina 45s

------------------
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"

General Dwight D. Eisenhower-- June 6,1944
------------------------

http://www.homestead.com/gunrights/Guns_and_Gunrights.html

Gwinny you stated that you did a search and found Nada, so I found you something . I have no experience with Auto-Ordnance. Do yourself a favor and buy yourself a kimber if you want a 1911, or you can shoot plastic like me Glock 30 :) G.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back