• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Auto-Locking Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I wonder if it would be possible, and if so beneficial, for threads to auto-lock after a period with no posts? A fairly long period, 2 years, maybe 1 year, maybe 3?

I figure it might keep long dead, no longer useful threads from being resurrected. If someone has something current they can start a new thread wherein they may get some participation. If they don't have anything worth creating a new thread, well, it's probably not worth resurrecting a 2 or 3 or 8 year old thread either.

IMO only, It would be a negative... when I joined I noticed folks getting chided for starting a thread as repetitious and told "had you done a search...." so a person searches, then finds an 8 year old thread but still has a touch of question, why not post it there?
I figure let them zombie threads live. But not the zombies scenario threads...
Brent

IMO, an autolocking feature would be an excellent one. If it existed, I would personally already have it turned on. tyme added a "are you really, really sure you want to post in this very old thread" question to old threads that a member has to check off in order to reanimate them. That helped a lot, but a handful of old threads pop up every week.

While hogdogs brings up a very valid point, I feel there is an obvious and very easy solution.

Doing a search for info is always a good practice, and chastising those who don't is often valid if done in a polite manner. However, there is no need to resurrect a very old thread just to add your own flavor of the question. Either your quest for info was completely satisfied by the info in the old thread, or it wasn't. If the latter, then a new thread should be started with a specific question. The old thread can and should be linked as a reference. But, bringing back the old thread with a question at the tail end is both confusing to the general membership and doesn't help the person trying to find new info. Invariably members will start out answering or commenting on the first few posts that are now several years old (and the OP is often not even visiting our site any longer).

I actually like the necrophilia threads. It's funny to read when someone inadvertantly posts an answer to a thread that's really, really old and then everyone else starts jumping on the bandwagon as if it's a new topic.

I just did a little search of my own, there is actually a mod for vBUlletin that allows auto-locking.

(I know how you guys don't do the "unofficial" mods, but it is out there.):)

we need an auto lock for all posts by peet unless he buys me a bottle of hooch once a month... MY CHOICE;)
Brent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back