Australias’ gun control 12 months later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigby1962

I got this in one of those e-mail chain letters. If these facts are correct. This should be plastered all over the news!
------------------------------
It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own government, a program costing
Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results are now in:
List of 7 items: Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent. Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent. Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent. (yes, 44 percent)!
In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!
While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.
There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.
You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.
Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Did this chain email have any linked supporting data?

And does anyone know when the Australian gun ban went into effect? I thought it's been longer than a year, obviously knowing that this is a chain email that may have originated a long time ago...

I saw this one first several years ago, no corroborating evidence. I am fairly certain some studies were done that did showcrime went up in OZ after the firced disarmament, but I don't believe they were the same numbers. Anyone else?

Is Snopes.com totally unbiased about gun control? I wonder about them sometimes.

Probably not. Then again, one shouldn't rely solely on them any more than a single news organization or (for that matter) a single chain letter.

Anyway, the ban was instituted back in 1997. Which means that we have 10 years of data since that we should be looking at, not the 12 months that this necro-chainletter regurgitated from the 20th century.

And, since I've actually had lengthy discussions on this very issue, I'll say that from what I've seen the data isn't nearly as conclusive as either side might like.

Actually 10 years, I went looking around for some corroborating data to the e-mail and found either the same exact numbers or ones slightly lower. All in all nothing seem to point to any kind of reduction. Bottom line it had no effect at all in lowering crime rates. It is in fact a recurring theme all over the world. Whenever guns bans are in acted it has 0 effect on the over all crime rate

http://www.gunsandcrime.org/auresult.html

Rubbish

I'm sorry, Rigby1962 but this post is absolute rubbish!
The only guns banned in Australia are semi auto long arms, all other guns are legal, including semi auto pistols and revolvers, I legally own two shotguns, one rifle and five hand guns.
Have a look at this gun shop's web site to see what guns are available to shooters in Australia.
http://www.qldgunexchange.com/Default.aspx?tabid=24
The crime rate has not gone up by the amount in your post either, I live here and can attest to this.

Another "I read it in an email, so it must be true" post. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing your first-hand knowledge, Nev C, but this one was doomed from the start.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back