Australia

Anthony

Hello Everyone,

I was under the impression that civilians in Australia could not own firearms after a recent gov't ban and buy back program; however, I just visited some shooting sites down under and it sounds like shooting is alive and well there. What gives?

Did the Australian gov't only ban a few types or am I missing something?

Details please.

- Anthony

It's alive, but not well. They have to beg, hat-in-hand, for permission to store their guns in a locked safe at all times, bolt removed, away from the ammunition. Not many can afford this, nor the registration fees that also get thrown in. There's a lot more, but I don't remember. I'd say ask Bruce, but the poor man's hung up for awhile, he's so depressed by the state of shooting in his area. There is, another "Down-Under" gent here....

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

HS2000, where are you, answer the questions or Rabbit Assassian.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Australia has banned all semiauto's including 22 rimfires. They have also even banned pump action shotguns.

I believe they can still own bolt guns and pistols if they are stored properly.

Of course self defense is not a legitimate reason to own a firearm!

Joe

[This message has been edited by nralife (edited July 28, 1999).]

I know I'm not here, but I can't let someone's request for help go unanswered if it's something I can assist with ....

Briefly, the situation in Australia is:

1. All semi-auto rifles and shotguns, and pump-action shotguns, are now "prohibited", except under very special circumstances, such as for some landowners or people shooting certain matches.

2. ALL "firearms" (including airguns) are licensed; you have to show both reason and need to the police before a licence will be allowed. "Self-defence" is expressly prohibited by legislation as a reason for ownership. (If you do use a firearm for self-defence, you will be charged by the police, and have to go to court.) If the police refuse your application, you have to go before a tribunal to appeal.

3. Stringent storage requirements are in place -- "approved" gun cabinet (safe), with bolt removed and stored, with ammo, in a separate lockable compartment inside. Safe bolted to floor and wall.

4. No CCW for "ordinary" people: handguns very stringently controlled and endorsed "for range use only". (Handguns are the antis next target; specifically, semi-autos -- the push is on to have them banned after the Olympics next year. They also want IPSC banned as it "teaches people to kill".) Handgun hunting? Forget it!!

5. Most places require a 28-day waiting period for a firearm -- this is waived here in WA if you already own a firearm.

6. Nationwide "training" is in the process of being implemented as a prerequisite to ownership -- at present, it seems as though you will be required to undergo a Tech school course of several weeks duration at a cost of several hundred dollars. This is being fought.

7. "Medicos" can have your licence revoked on suspicion that you "might" be unfit. They are exempted by legislation from being sued (even civilly) if they are wrong.

8. Possession of even one round of ammo for a calibre for which you don't have a licence is an offence. There has been at least one case I know of personally where a person with an empty cartridge case was charged by the police. (He got off in court -- but it cost him thousands of dollars.)

9. Every ammo purchase is signed for in a register and your full licence and personal details taken at each purchase.

10. Police can enter your home without warrant to "check storage requirements are being met". They do, however, have to give you notice of intent to do this.

Look, basically, that's it. There's a whole lot more, but I suggest you go to:

http://www.ssaa.org.au , which is the homepage for the Sporting Shooters Association of Australia. About halfway down the page there is a link to State Licensing Requirements, or a similar title. That gives you a State-by-State summary of what you need to do for the "privilege" of owning a firearm in Australia.

BT

Good answer Bruce but 6 and 9 aren't the case In NSW. To buy ammo here you just show your gun licence, no signing anything.
As for training for a licence, it's still the good old 20 multiple choice questions on firearms safety and the law and that's it. If you don't pass that you are pretty stupid.

------------------
New FREE Gun Auctions at http://www.gun-center.com/auctions.html

Bruce,

I know you're on vacation... I found your post enlightening. Could I bother you to put up some information on how your gun laws looked before the Port Arthur incident? I’ve scanned your constitution and didn’t really see individual rights listed (though I was zipping right along). I’m interested in comparing where your country was and is now with the has happened and could happen in the U.S.

------------------
ubi ignes est?

RA: Re Training: Yes, you're right, even in WA we have the multiple-choice bizzo for new owners. However, I am led to believe that there is a Nationwide "training" scheme to be implemented -- the argument is over what that will consist of and who will be authorised to deliver it.

Geneb:

Before Port Arthur, firearms licensing was on a State-by-State basis. I can only speak with any authority on WA, which was severely restricted anyway (since the 1930s).

1. Fully autos totally banned.

2. "Certain" semi-auto centrefires banned (such as the Mini-14 and the S/A "Armalite"-types that fired that "killer" high-power round, the deadly .223 -- Yes, that is sarcasm).

3. Semi-auto, pump action shotguns OK, as were semi-auto rimfires.

4. "Reason" to own was a letter from a property owner "for the destruction of vermin".

5. Firearms merely to be held and stored in a "secure" manner.

6. Police had a curious "high-power/low-power" formula worked out for rifles. It depended (mainly) on velocity. Hence, for example, a .222 was classified as a high power, while a 45-70 at 2000 fps was "only" a low power. Getting a licence for a high power was a whole lot harder than for a low power.

I believe some other States (such as Queensland and Tasmania) did not even require registration for some firearms, such as airguns, .22s and shotguns. They were certainly much more "gun-friendly". But I'm afraid I don't know the details.

BT

Bruce,

Thanks for helping to explain the situation in Australia. All I can say is "wow"...I just don't have the words...

Bruce, I feel like a father catching his son out of bed on a school night: "Get some rest!"

This is exactly the kind of topic that's been wearing the poor man down, people!

:(

I'll quote Ed on this one:

-------------------
"Better days to be..."

I am afraid that Bruce's post is a look at the eventual aim of the UN for all slave states.. ..er.. member nations. Anyone who still thinks it "can't happen here" is playing with himself. It might not happen in total in my lifetime (I'm 72), but it will happen.

In WA you've always had it tougher.
Before Port Arthur I legally had a min 14 ranch rifle , .223 stainless steel :)
In NSW sks's and skk's have banned since 1992 but funnily enough they still have got about 2 or 3 thousand back. One dealer alone sold about 30 000. I think they estimate 200 000 or so were sold. They didn;t get many back.
The gun laws aren't national in practice.
AS Bruce said in WA the waiting period of 30 days for buying a gun is only for your first gun, In NSW it's for every purchase.
NSW is the only state that allows membership of a hunting club to be a reason for getting a firearms licence, probably why the hunting clubI formed has 550 members.

Thanks for the enlightening information. I agree with Long Path – get some rest. I need to take breaks from TFL for my sanity. Unfortunately, I tend to spend by away time watching C-Span or Fox News. Have to keep the blood pressure up – might pass out.

edit - I haven't seen many (or as many as I would have thought) Canadians on TFL. Is it my imagination?
------------------
ubi ignes est?

[This message has been edited by geneb (edited July 29, 1999).]

Back