August Schüler

Swazi

Inactive
Hi there,

Thanks for accepting me on the Firing Line.

I have a beautiful 9.3x62 with a semi octagonal barrel. Made by August Schüler. I cannot seem to find a lot of information on the maker August Schüler. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

August Schuler was a well-known gunsmith in Suhl, Germany between WW1 and WW2. If you google him, you will see many examples of his work.

Thanks. I'm actually trying to figure out how old the rifle is etc. Its good craftmanship, lion engraving, rhino horn inlaid pieces and of course I love the semi-octagonal barrel.

The other reason Im looking for Information regarding August Schüler is because my uncle has a 500. With no writing on it except the number 23 on the barrel. He thinks its a Jeffery.

But here's the interesting part, when you put it beside my 93x62 they look like a matching pair especially the barrels. So I am thinking that his 500. Is also a Schüler.....

What do you think? I will post a pic as soon as I see them again they are on the hunting farm in Mozambique.

The Schuler and Jeffrey are slightly different. I guess you know that. If it is a German rifle as you describe then it is a Schuler. I am surprised it is not marked for either cartridge or bore , not even 12.7 mm? That is a nice gun to own. I would let your uncle know that you could give that gun a good home, when the time comes.

Just as a wag, a 23 next to a proof mark could be the year?

Hi Fourbore,

No names on the rifle no. Ok so maybe 1923 then....

Thanks yes Inalso think It is a really nice gun. Its done its share of safaris for elephant, hippo and buffalo.

He would probably never sell. We kind of collect rifles too, and get very sentimental hehe.

Yes, but; you are younger and the day will come. Not something to look forward too. but; inevitable like taxes. Keep that baby in the family.

The ammo for one may interchange but not the other way around. I forget the story. It could be the 500 Jeff ammo will fire in a schuler but not other way. The grey matter is not what it used to be. Or I could be all wrong.

I did a google search and found this nice little write up by Norma:

http://www.norma-usa.com/index.php/...-month/174-cartridge-of-the-month-500-jeffery

This is interesting. total production in Germany 12.7 and England .500 combined, only ~100 guns. I believe there were only 23 to 25 Jeffrey guns. That would make 75 Schuler guns.

Although no exact numbers exist, it is estimated that between its introduction in the 1920s, and the current spate of popularity, no more than 100 rifles were built in each of these two calibers, which means there are far more new rifles chambered for the .500 Jeffery than there are vintage ones.

Welcome! You are a fortunate man to have a rifle made by August Schuler. I own a CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery. Here is a quote from the 500 Jeffery Wiki page: "The .500 Jeffery is a big-game rifle cartridge that first appeared around 1920, and was originally introduced by the August Schuler Company, a German firm, under the European designation "12.7×70mm Schuler" or ".500 Schuler". "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.500_Jeffery

Best Regards,

Chuck

Wow thanks for all the Info ! Was in Mozambique for a hunt. Going again tomorrow. Hopefully at last get the sable Im looking for.

It really is great being on this forum and receiving information from all of you

Hi everyone,

I have pictures of the rifles. Want to post them but it seems there is a size limit etc. will post today.

Pictures 93x62

Here are a few images of the 93x62. any comments and advice ?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 84

and here are a few of the 500. if anyone wanted better quality images I could email to you or something.

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 82
I have no info to offer you but I sure love those rifles. Safari rifles like these are just a great part of firearms history. Cherish them.

And yes, they are a beautiful part of my family collection. Rifles are just special. For light game I also have a .223 semi auto and a .270 . In my antique arsenal a beautiful gun is the Westley Richards 450/500 No 2 Musket double I have which is shotgun left and musket right barrel. My grandfathers grandfather used to hunt with it, and it was particularly useful in lion and leopard hunts because close up the shotgun was used if necessary. I also have a few handguns but they are not as special to me.

Swazi,

I agree both guns are schuler and very desirable fire arms. As suggested, use Google, there is a lot of history out there. I would consider some insurance for those and probably not be taking an chances on getting lost during travel. I really liked to hear how these are still being used as intended. That is wonderful.

Have you learned more since you posted here? Did any company records survive? I would seriously consider a trip to Germany, if I had those gun and the necessary time and money. Naturally, that assumes, I had made the proper and promising contacts. Obviously, I have no idea what survived the war in this regard.

There is another good forum. I have a problem and lost my login and unable to recover.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/ubbthreads.php?Cat=0&C=3

Back