Auction Restrictions in Illinois

gbclarkson

I just glanced at a firearms auction at the local auction service and all lots show the text "**All Firearms are Illinois Restricted** No Illinois Sales**" including semi auto .22s with 10 round magazines, shotguns, and stripped lower receivers. Did I miss something? Are firearm auctions restricted in Illinois too? I sent an email query to the auction house but received no reply.

https://www.bauerauction.com/200-online-only-firearm-auction/

I don't know the state's laws, but many businesses simply refuse to sell to states that have restrictive and often confusing laws, simply to avoid the expense and potential liability of trying to keep up with and comply with the laws in that location.

It is entirely possible that it is the auction house itself restricting sales to IL for just that reason.

Just after the 1st of the year, Illinois enacted a new assault weapons ban. I don't know the details since I don't live there anymore, but off the top of my head, I think it bans just about anything semiauto. It's being fought in court right now and may be struck down eventually, but that could be a couple years before any online sites will risk doing business there for semiautos.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/il...un-sales-legal-challenge-expected-2023-01-11/

Just after the 1st of the year, Illinois enacted a new assault weapons ban.

This is a big part of the problem for businesses. Federal law matters everywhere and the cost of compliance is part of the cost of doing business.

State laws, on the other hand, only apply in that state and lately have been changing frequently. Many states have passed laws that are being contested in court. Hopefully as the system slowly grinds on, most or all of the true BS stuff will be repealed/nullified.

But until then, they are the law. And businesses are weighing the cost of lost revenue against cost of meeting individual state requirements that may only apply to a fraction of their business, and can change rapidly.

For one example, my state, a couple years back, declared ALL semi auto rifles were "semiautomatic assault rifles" and added a host of additional requirements before allowing purchase. This included every semi auto in every caliber (including .22RF) no matter how old, and without consideration of anything else other than semi auto function.

Now, earlier this year, they got another of their wishes with the passage of a complete BAN on purchase of "semiautomatic assault rifles", but redefined the term YET AGAIN, and, this time, excluded .22 rimfire from the list.

For many businesses, the cost of keeping in compliance in certain states outweighs the profit made doing business there.

The recent mass killing in NY, where the killer broke numerous NY gun laws BEFORE ever shooting anyone and the state's reaction are a case to be looked at. NY's reaction was (among other things) to take the maker of the NY compliant firearm to court seeking damages because they claimed the gun was "too easy" to convert to something illegal in NY.

I would hate to have to try and do business somewhere that would sue me/my business because someone broke the law with one of my products.

Best thing for my business would be to not do business there, at all.

IF that situation upsets you (as it does me) the people to blame are the elected officials who passed the laws and those people who put them in office, in the first place.

Notice that retired police can still buy AR-15s and semi-auto rifles because... reasons???

its called "pork".

pork, pork belly, pork barrel legislation, and other names covering something extra available to, or for the benefit of a certain group of voters. Its a (quasi) legal bribe. Let the retired cops who are gun enthusiasts be exempt from the rule and they are less likely to be upset and might possibly even be grateful.

people of good character will stand on principle, but lots of people don't care about principle, as long as they get to keep and play with the toys they like, so their personal lives are not affected while the rest of us are...

it isn't always about where Fed/State money gets spent, though that's the most commonly recognized thing called pork that isn't actually food...

Downstate LEO, states attorneys & judges are on our side against this new law. So much so, the gov and legislature enacted a another new law restricting where constitutional challenges can be made to just 2 counties. Guess which political party is rooted deep in both of those counties.

So much so, the gov and legislature enacted a another new law restricting where constitutional challenges can be made to just 2 counties.

That looks like something likely to fail any sort of common sense (I know ...) constitutional challenge.

Back