ATV Hunting Rifle Carry

Charles S

I have a new to me Honda Rubicon 2003. I would like a little guidance on a carry system for my rifle during hunting season.

I would like to know if anyone has tried a conventional scabbard designed for scoped rifles. I was thinking of mounting it behind my right leg with the scope up.

This is kind of what I had in mind. I would not be opposed to another mounting suggestion.

Cabelas Scabbard

My other alternative would be a Koplin case. I was thinking of the V. Is the V better than the IV.

Koplin Gun Boot V

I have also thought of a system to carry my gun case. This might work well.

Gun Case Carrier

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Charles

Last edited:
Welcome to TFL!

I've never carried a rifle in a container, boot, or carrier while riding an ATV.
I suppose that the container, boot, or carrier would protect the rifle from the ATV and from the elements, so that would be a good thing.

However, I just use the sling and wear the rifle across my back while riding. You never know when you will see a deer, and the container, boot, or carrier may require more movement on your part; even worse, they might impair your ability to take a quick shot, or at least delay your shot.

I don't know whether you would have to worry about some jerk stealing the container, boot, or carrier while you are hunting away from the ATV.

I carried mine acrossed my legs when I used a ATV. I carried my Bushmaster varmint gun on my back when on a ATV. This is just IMO you are better off not using a ATV. If there are ATVs in the area during the summer you will be ok! If not don't use a ATV!

If I were buying one of the three, I would get the Koplin. It is made for the job at hand, not rigged up to work. The universal thing is nice too, but Murphy is a hunter also and you surely know all about his LAW's. You'll be traveling while on the ATV, not hunting, so quick-shots should not concern you.

Rifle carry

I use the Koplin. I don’t know if it is the IV or V. It is not just like the one in your picture. Wal-Mart has an all metal mount for $25 that I like. I don’t put the end cap on the Koplin. My rifle sticks out about 5” and that doesn’t seem to be a problem. You don’t have to take the time to mess with the end cap and my rifle never seems to move. I carry a plastic bag to put over the stock if it is raining or if I am throwing mud from the tires. I have a 50mm scope on my rifle and there is room for it in the Koplin. I have mine on the right rear side, so I always try to get on from the left. Sometimes in cold weather with all the closes I have on I won’t get my foot high enough and will kick the Koplin. I like the setup enough that I bought a mount for my wife’s ATV and now I have to get her a Koplin. Last year she carried her rifle in a pair of those V things that mount on the front rack. I didn’t like that at all when she would ride up beside me and I was looking down her barrel.

Willis

koplin

I have looked at a number of them and presently own a koplin with a cam type lever to lock the case into the rack. Works great. I personally wouldn't use a soft case, but that depends on your riding stye, I've had my Honda in many diffrent positions that were not intentional, including laying on the rifle. Straps have a tendency to lossen off. Those v-mounts scare me with the butt sticking out one end and the barrel sticking out the other. The only other thing I would watch for is the barrel length, and how far down the rifle sits in the case. I have seen unscoped rifles after several years of riding, wear through the end of the case.

Thanks for the replies.

I was really leaning toward to Koplin case. I really think that is the way to go.

Thanks again for the information.

Charles

Back