Attn New York State deer Hunters

dodgestdshift

The State Senate and Assembly has passed and sent to Gov. Patacki a bill which would allow the use of rifles in the hunting of deer during the firearms season in some of the counties of the Southern zone(western part of the state). Seems to be the southern tier counties that border on Pennsylvania (EXCLUDING CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY). The votes in favor of the bill were sizeable, but I don't know what the governor will or did do.

I really will be surprised if they allow the use of rifles anywhere in the Southern Tier. It doesn't really matter to me much as most places I hunt, you don't often get a long shot and my rifled barrel guns do well out past 100 yards. I guess we will see.

New Guy here,
Just to let you fellars know, I`m for the rifles in the southern tier, I do G-hog & varmint huntin there. Being a Old Pennsylvania Boy , & being brought up on rifles for huntin I sure miss that moving up here. Sure there are risks , BUT most hunters that take the time & money to purchase a rifle know the safety issues, Not like the "city boys" who buy out of the trunks of cars , & use eachother for target practice. I gave up the shotgun years ago to use the side lock front-stuffer, & never regretted it. Now if our gov. signs that measure, I`ll go back to a scoped rifle for a while, & never buy a Pa non-res. huntin license. I also love the challange of a revolver for huntin, the bigger the better, & would like to try it on G-hogs with lots of practice.
And thats my 2 cents. THANKS

Wiskers

Wiskers says...........

Not like the "city boys" who buy out of the trunks of cars , & use each other for target practice.

Wiskers, you got it all wrong! Allow me to correct you!

We "city boys" buy right off the street corners. We use the trunks of cars for the bodies! :D

TPAW
Up here the buyers on the street corners are the targets, 2 kids shot & killed this weekend, now that`s a real shame. It only worsens gun situations for us up & legal gun nuts in NY. Schumer & Clinton feed on this news media stuff.

Wiskers

Wiskers....

Where is "Up here", I hunt all over the state? Many of my friends live along Route 17, up to, and past Binghamton. Good hunting, but over the years the strip malls ruined quite a bit.
Most of my hunting is done in the Adirondacks. It's still untouched and away from everything. I have lived and hunted there for over 30 years.

"Up Here" is : Joseph - Hudson- Avenue D area in Rochester NY. The BEST DRUGGIE- Shootin territory in Monroe co.
I hear there`s not that much deer in your huntin area as per days of old, or is that a myth ?? I hunt the southern tier around Wellsville & that is getting to close up with most of the land posted. The farms are giving hunting rites to clubs for money to help pay taxes on their property. I`ve managed to hold on to some good territory for varmints, & 1 good farm for deer. I also own property in northern PA, just south of Wellsville, but Pa Game commission ruined the deer herd there too, where 30 was seen in 10 miles you won`t see 3 in 30 miles, but ground hogs , fox & coyotes are a different story. I hear that it will be possible to hunt big game with a rifle this season in the southern tier, & Being an Old Pa.Mountain Boy I look forward to that happening.

Wiskers

just say away from cattaragus county. the hunting is horrible around here. no deer anywhere. in fact we've just plain outlawed animals alltogether. so stay far, far away....no, really...i'm serious...move along...

but according to the news paper pataki is expected to pass the bill.

Last edited:
Wiskers....

Two guys that I know live near you. Michael Boyle and Ron Kubrick. Have not heard from them in awhile.
Don't believe the rumors about the hunting up here. Last year I saw a moose swim across a lake. It was easy pick'ins, but I let it live.
What's going on down there? I always hunted with a rifle in Ellensville and Mountiandale along 17?

Hay hawkin50

Catawhogus County ??

Everything outlawed ??

No nuttin?? No animals ??

What`s "The Good Ol` Boys" doin for entertainment with no animals there ??
Going down to McKean co. in Penna. ??

Wiskers

we get liquored up and shoot road signs, of course.
so unless you have a big shortage of road signs and liquor up there in the city, i'd probably just be a big waste of your valuble time to come down here.

(he he he, they don't suspect a thing)

(he he he, they don't suspect a thing)

awww crap. did i type that instead of just think it? well what i ment was...ummm...errrr...yeah no animals to hunt around here at all....don't even visit...and don't ask anyone else from around here cause they're all lying.

My Hero`s , My type of family folk, Holey signs that`s an American tradition, in the twin tiers. Since I`m livin in the farm country outside Rochester, someday I`d be willin to travel to your desilate part of NY state & meet you. Is this the place that Hiliary & Chuckie hang out in their spare time ?? No animals no gun problems RIGHT ?? Hawkin 50 cal. on signs ??
Where I came from we used M/T brownie bottles, couldn`t afford lead, & iffin you dievorced yer woman, she`s still your sister. HA HA !!!

Wiskers

Back