Attn gunsmiths: Beretta 92FS question

450 Marlin

Inactive
I've got a 92FS that I put new grips on. During the process, one of the heads of the grip screws twisted off (it must have been defective - I wasn't tightening that much) in the grip bush (I believe that is what it is called). I cannot remove the piece of the screw stuck in the grip bush. Beretta has sent out new grip screws and grip bushes. However the grip bush is staked (?) in the grip of the gun.

My question is, can any reasonable gunsmith remove the grip bush and install one of the replacements or is this something I should send my gun back to Beretta for? I really want to avoid mailing my gun if at as possible (call me paranoid if you will).

Also, do you know what a reasonable charge would be by a gunsmith. I'd be willing to bet it would be free of charge from Beretta (but again, I'd rather have it done locally if at all possible).

Thanks in advance for the help.

I had this happen to me when I tried to put hex head screws in my 92FS. I simply put a 1/32 drill in a drill chuck mounted on my Dremel and drilled through the screw shank. I then got a tiny "EZ Out" and backed the screw out of the bushing. It really was as easy as it sounds. Good luck.

Have you tried turning it with a screwdriver if you can get one in the slot OR pliers if you cant. They are staked but not so heavill that it wont turn in most cases. I have nver had a problem making this repair in the past. I also use locktite on the new bushing rather than restaking.

Back