Attention Ruger No. 1 or 50AK and 50-90 Owners--I Need a Quick Measurement!

barnbwt

Hey, guys,
I'm gonna try to get my .510" barrel blank contoured for my 50 Alaskan build, and I need a barrel thickness to shoot for. Right now, it's a 1.75" rough turn, which is way too thick. It's going onto a Steyr M95 receiver, so that will define the thickness at the threads, but I don't know what diameter would be needed to keep the 18"-20" barrel sufficiently stiff over its length. I don't need accuracy so much as light weight, but I also don't want the barrel easily whipped around or bent (:eek:) by recoil.

The reciever is sufficiently strong for 8x56R, so it's plenty capable of handling the much lower pressure and equal bolt-thrust of 50 Alaskan--no worries there.

Unless someone here owns a 50 Alaskan or similar (50-90+), I am going to base my profile on the Ruger No. 1 barrel--known for its strength (and ability to be rechambered to 50 Alaskan ;)). I believe the 458 barrel profile is the biggest offered, and the one I am interested in. I would use the Winchester M71 thickness, but I don't know if the barrel is replaced with a thicker one during the conversion.

Thanks guys, hopefully I can get this knocked out this weekend!:)

2012-12-26_20-15-51_362.jpg

No, I won't be keeping the steel-plated military stock :rolleyes:, so I don't need to fit the barrel inside handguards, or anything :cool:

TCB

Back