ATM Backup Pro/Con

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highpower1

Would love to hear all Pro and Con advice on the ATM Backups. I have a chance to get one in 9mm and one in .380 for 100.00 a piece from a friend that just needs the money. The 9mm has only been shot once and the .380 is NIB.

What do you think about these firearms? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Highpower1

------------------
No King is saved by the size of his army, No warrior excapes by his great strength alone.

I have an AMT Backup in .45 ACP, and I would not trade or sell it. Mine works just fine. There are others that have had problems with their pistols. It seems that there is no middle ground with them, either they work or they don't. AMT did have a pretty good rep. on fixing or replacing those that did not work.

They are rather heavy and the trigger pulls leave something to be desired, read real heavy. I think that they have improved them, I know the Texas DPS are allowed to use the Backup in .357 SIG as an off duty/second gun.

Buy them, the price is really right.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Is the AMT you're considering the single- action or the newer, double-action-only version? About eight years ago, my partner and I were coming off-shift and taking off our ballistic vests in the locker room. His .380 single-action AMT fell out of his vest holster and hit the floor from a height of 4 feet. The pistol landed on the rear of the slide and fired off its chambered round. Other than some minor shrapnel in his calf, my partner was fine. The safety was on at the time the gun fired; the safety only functioned to prevent trigger movement while in the "on" position. He sold the gun the next day and bought a J-frame for backup. Something to think about if you plan on carrying a round in the chamber with an older AMT.

Jim and Cat, thank you both for your comments on the AMT Backup.

Cat, the ones that I'm looking at purchasing are the DOA version for both models. I appreciate the story you told and I'm glad no one was injuried.

Again, thank you both.

Highpower1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back