Atlanta Files Lawsuit

Bill Mitchell

Staff Alumnus
The mayor of Atlanta(who's proven himself a complete ass long before now) announced today that the city had filed a lawsuit against seventeen gun manufacturers,saying that they had been negligent under Ga. law. Of course,he wasn't specific as to how they are negligent. This appears to be a pre-emptive strike,since the State House has passed a bill that removes the right of municipalities
to sue the gun makers. Apparently,if the bill gets through the Senate and is signed into law,it would nullify the lawsuit. Of course,
with the SHOT Show in town,he's doing this hoping for max publicity. NSSA should decline to bring the show back to Atlanta,even if the lawsuit is thrown out,IMHO.

I read also on another hunting forum that there is a federal judge in NY with the same
issues as GA. It looks like a group of individuals in NY want to sue the gun manufactueres for criminal gun use. It would appear that their ultimate goal is to have guns and rifles banned completely in the US.
It will be most interesting to see how these individual judges rule on this. They did it with the tobacco industry so what's to stop the government from taking our rights to bear arms away from us eventually.

------------------
bearcat

Bill - SHOT has declined to bring the show back to Georgia. They had plans to, but now they are boycotting the city. The announcement came too late to do anything about this year.

Bearcat - The NY lawsuit is almost finished. It went to the jury yesterday. No verdict yet, though the judge threw out the part of the suit against the distributors, leaving only the manufacturers as defendants. I'll post as soon as I hear anything.

Back