ATF tossing FFLs under the bus

NRAhab

In the Bloomberg lawsuit, ATF is refusing to be deposed by lawyers for Adventure Outdoors.

The real killer about this is that prior to their refusal to be deposed, ATF had agreed in principal to be deposed by lawyers for Adventure Outdoors in written questions. On top of that, in the past Adventure Outdoors had gone above and beyond their legal requirements to assist ATF in resolving potential straw purchases.

Here's a direct quote from ATF's motion to suppress the depositions:

ATF properly determined that the burdens to ATF from having the ATF employees respond to written questions outweighs any benefit to Adventure Outdoors.​

Because god forbid that an agency funded by taxpayer dollars be held accountable by those same taxpayers in a court of law.

ATF - "Always Think Forfeiture."

http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3585琿
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms requires the following items, Purchase Description Determined by Line Item, to the following:
LI 001, EXACT MATCH ONLY - Leatherman Micra Color: Blue - Part number 64340101K Engraved with: ATF-Asset Forfeiture AND "always think forfeiture" PLEASE REFER TO THE ATTACHMENT. NOTE: ATF MAY REQUEST A SAMPLE TO DETERMINE IF IT MEETS OUR REQUIREMENT. ***Partial Shipments are allowed. Please use the space below to explain your delivery schedule. Preferred Delivery Date is November 7th***, 2000, EA;

I used to defend ATF, but more and more I really do think that they have an agenda driving this behavior. While I'm sure that there are good field agents who actually want to combat real crime, at the command level ATF seems pretty much a mess to me.

I do have to say, not defending ATF, but anytime I've served discovery on a federal agency, I've received the same response.

This is yet another why they are now known as the Bureau of Unmilitarized Longguns Lagers Spirits Handguns Incendiaries and Tobacco. Out in CA they're being effectively used as hitmen to take out FFL's. It's a heck of a shock to see the horrid sparsity of them out here compared with normal places. I was used to seeing pawn shops, WalMarts, or outdoors stores all within 2 or 3 miles in any driving direction then got out here where it's like a nuclear bomb hit and wiped out everything except strip malls.

I do have to say, not defending ATF, but anytime I've served discovery on a federal agency, I've received the same response.

And state agencies too, but hey, why let reality ruin a good screechthread....:D

WildiveseenthatresponsefromprivatethirdpartiesinvolvedinlitigationAlaska ™

It's more that the ATF agreed in principle to allow the depositions by written question and then said "whoops, changed our minds, sorry you're screwed" when the time actually came.

On an unrelated note, I have not posted in such a long time, it's nice to see that WildAlaska is still here doing that thing with his signature.

Back