ATF marking variance... getting custom receivers made

SamNavy

Not sure how many people know about this, so I thought I'd start a thread for experiences.

I just discovered that I can have my own "run" of full custom AR15 lower receivers made with my own company name/logo and serial numbers and all the markings. I've done some preliminary internet'ing and want to know if it's as easy as it sounds and if anybody has gone this route.

I've found several places online that advertise that they do this kind of work, but none list prices. It seems fairly straightforward... I contract with them for the work, THEY submit the ATF variance, and when complete, they ship them to my local FFL and I pick up with standard background check?

I have a crew of buddies who all hunt at the same ranch every year... would be awesome to have matching lowers made up with the Ranch logos and all our nicknames on them.

Who can fill in the blanks for me and/or recommend a good place?

I've sent emails to:
Quentin Defense
AverageGunGuy
BlackCreekPrecision
Daytona Defense and Tactical
McNabb Manufacturing
TGC Outdoors

I know Caspian Arms does custom serial numbers for 1911 receivers. And I'm pretty certain they will also do special runs for custom pistolsmiths who have their own FFL. I don't think they can put your name on as the maker unless you have a license as a gun manufacturer, though.

John McNabb (McNabb Manufacturing) is a good guy and his prices are pretty reasonable.
I have recently gone to him for machining of most of my custom firearms parts (often a one-off) and specialty tools, and gotten to know him fairly well.

He is, however, a very busy man. If speed is essential, you'll have to pay for it.

One wall of his shop is nothing but empty "80%" AR lower receiver boxes, from a contract that he has with a custom builder for batches of 'varianced' receivers.

I don't think they can put your name on as the maker unless you have a license as a gun manufacturer, though.
Correct. You can have whatever you want engraved and can get a special series of serial numbers, too. But for them to not have their name on them, you have to have an 07 FFL and get a variance from the ATF listing you as the manufacturer.

Damn... I thought I had it all figured out.

So unless I'm an 07, somebody elses company name will be above the selector switch, and I can have every other aspect of the engraving personal... like the model/serial/selector markings/logo.

Hmmmnnn... must continue plan to take over the world and make my own rules.

Contact Quality Arms in Idaho.
They start with New Frontier 80% lowers, and would likely be able to work something out with you.

So unless I'm an 07, somebody elses company name will be above the selector switch, and I can have every other aspect of the engraving personal... like the model/serial/selector markings/logo.
Correct. Their name, city, and state.

Thanks for all of the clarification. A couple of the places I mentioned in post #2 have returned my request for information and I'm much more aware of how this process works. Looks like we might be going the 80% route... unless I can convince an 07 FFL to change their company name and move to the middle of nowhere east of San Angelo.

How about starting with an 80% receiver, and taking it to an engraving shop/trophy shop and having it engraved with whatever you want? Then finish them off in whatever configuration you want.

Back