ATF Form 4473 for retreiving consignment?

ret621

Inactive
Hello; I dropped off a pistol for sale at a nearby FFL gunstore. It was reported to me that they found a mechanical problem with the gun and can not sell it as proposed wjhen I dropped it off. They told me that I have to fill out a new 4473 to get my OWN gun back ! I have already done one when I purchased it firsthand. I have written to the ATF website to see if that is true, as yet, no response. Does anyone have real knowledge/experience with this, not just a guess or opinion?

18 USC 922 covers "delivering" a firearm to someone as well as "selling," but I'm not sure if there's actually a regulatory requirement for a 4473 in a non-sale transaction.

Consignements are covered by the law so a 4473 is required and it is so annoying to have to do that,

WildwhatapitaAlaska TM

ATF Form 4473 for retreiving consuignment?

I had exactly that happen to me. Cost me $20 (back then) to get my own gun back! I was most annoyed that the gun shop did not inform me of it beforehand.

What are the laws regarding those under 21? If I were between 18 and 20, if I could even sell on consignment, how would that work? Would I be out my gun? :eek:

Its true, they put it on their books when they take it as a consignment they have no choice but to do that because everything they sell if they are an FFL must be in the bound book.

They must transfer it back to you via a 4473.

A couple years ago I considered having a big gun store down the road from my house sell a gun for me. They are just over the state line in PA. Not a good idea because if they dont sell it, I have to pay an FFL in my state to do a transfer across the state line to get my own gun back.:barf:

The only really good use I've found for a gun shop is that SOMEBODY is usually collecting rent for the space occupied by the gun shop.:D

Back