ATF Audit

Tom B

Today I went to visit my local gunstore and 2 ATF Agents were auditing all the registration forms. My dealer told me they had been at it for 2 days. Two other ATF Agents were doing the same at the other local gunstore in town. I was told they were getting the names of persons who had "multiple gun purchases" in the last 5 years. How many purchases wasn't stated. My dealer told me they had taken my name for this reason. He advised them that although I purchased many guns from him that I traded most back to him over time. He told them he could show them the records to indicate this. They stated they were not interested in that and didn't check any of those records. Any advice for me for when ATF comes calling? Oh by the way the ATF says the reason for the checks is to find people who are trafficing in firearms without an FFL. Does anyone know how many guns a person can sell before he is considered an illegal trafficer?

Under the current occupant of the Ovoid Orifice, selling one gun privately is probably enough to get you "talked to" by ATF.

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper

On a serious note, knowing of specific interest by the ATF would make me inclined to get very careful and alert. Trouble is, that state of existence is hard on a person and cannot be sustained for long. Anyone got better ideas?

Perhaps call the local office and ask exactly why they're interested?

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper

Local rumor has it that a wealthy neighbor is also a collector and has bought a LOT of guns recently. Enough of them to prompt a call by the ATF. The ATF wanted to know why he had bought so many firearms. His reply was reportedly something to the effect of "None of your damned business" and hanging up.

Moral? In order to be safe from the ATF live on a large ranch with security guards, and be very, very wealthy and have attorneys on retainer. Less risky than living in a flammable compound and selling guns for a living.

shortcut-
While wealth may appear a buffer, it's also a tempting confiscation prize. Tough for these wealthy guys to make it work for them once their accounts are frozen and their house seized.
Rich

Many lawyers will give you a free prelim consult.
Ask around for the names of some local lawyers, who aren't tort nor liberal syncophants, then call up or stop by....even if it costs you a little it will be worth it if the ATF starts to harrass you.

Point being, and this should interest any moral attorney, you have not broken the law nor done anything morally or ethically wrong....this Stazi/Gestapo/KGB info gathering is illegal and constitutes harrassment and invasion of privacy.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

I wonder if, 'In case a band of murdering federal agents come to my house, I don't want to end up like Koresch. He only got 4, I'll get 40!' would fly with them?

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* Advertisement*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Available now! Confidential safeguarding of wealth!

Why have all your money frozen by the government?

Safeguard your cash with our Special Agent in Texas!

He will keep your cash, coins, and securities FOR you!

Safe from prying eyes and government risk,
Russian hands and Roman fingers!

Secured deep in the limestone caves of the Texas Hill Country!

For confidential interviews contact Dennis on TFL!

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* Advertisement*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Tom - Two things I would do if I was you. (1) Buy about two dozen fire extinguishers and (2) avoid all commerical advertisements from anyone living within a 200 mile radius of Austin, TX. Make that 3 things - change my name. :=

Back