At it again

Gitsum

Its official now... I have this casting thing in my blood. Just had to go out and do some more tonight. I was having bad allingment problems the other night so I ordered some Bull Plate Lube. I was looking for something to use until it gets here and tried some Anti-Sieze as I have used it for hot applications before. I was careful not to get it anywhere but the pins and it worked AWESOME! I couldnt believe how well it kept everything lined up. I even stopped checking after a couple of hours and no problems. Anyone ever tried it?

I did however have some problems with the sprue plate. I was getting lead between it and the mold. It took a while but I eventually got the lead to a cooler temp and that kept it from leaking between the two. Should I have to do this? If I look just right, I can even see through the gap to the other side. Is my plate bent? I checked the screw and it was already very tight. Here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_6374.jpg
    IMG_6374.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 32
  • downsize[1] (2).jpg
    downsize[1] (2).jpg
    107 KB · Views: 33
  • downsize[1].jpg
    downsize[1].jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 28
You should not have lead between the mould & sprue plate. Check the hold down bolt & washer. Make sure all is well there. If it is, the sprue plate may be bent. Take the plate off & lay it on a flat surface such as glass to check for bending.

It`s a lee thang !!

On the 2 holers they use a self tappin screw & when it "selftaps" it raises a little ridge around the screw making full contact with the top of the molds impossible .

The fix is to carefully remove the screw (use a good screwdriver) & work it out , then level the top of the mold on glass & 600 grit.

Hit the sprue plate a lick to see if it`s flat also, it may need adjustment to.

The screw won`t hold again unless ya drill & tap a 8x32 screw from the side to lock it .

MAN! one more thing to do. That seems like a lot of work for a $20 mold. Maybe just get another one?... or maybe send this one back and get it replaced.

Well , all molds need tuning of sorts even steel ons & custom hi-dollar brass 1s

I hae a process I run my lee 2 holers thru it`s called "leementing" more info can be found on it at: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ just do a search for it.

I have additional steps also .

Seems like alot, but when finished the mold will run flawlessly & bullets will fall out the cavities .

I have some 20 buck molds that have cast 1,000s of bullets & still show little signs of giving up .

I always place the molds on a flat surface to close em , it keeps the alignment pin grooves from wearing !!

Thanks GP. I guess I just didnt realize that the fit and finish was as bad as it seems to be on these molds. I am however planning on "Leementing". And I think you have talked me into working the sprue plate as well.

About the Anti-Sieze... I have the Bull Plate Lube on order but it worked so well that I was considering using it primarily. Any opinions from anyone on this?

I NOW see many opinions about this... Nothing like asking a question that has been answered a thousand times... lol.

Back