At 31, am I too old to become a LEO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyGunsJammed

I always had a desire to get in LEO work....not just because I get a uniform, a badge and a gun, but I've always been fascinated with different aspects of LEO work.....at my present age, is it too late for me to make a career switch?

federal cutoff is age 37 huh? what about on the state or city level?

sorry for the questions, I'm sure I can get my answers from doing some research on google etc.. but I'd like to see what the Leo's on the board have to say.

As for being physically fit, I think I am in good shape....much better shape than a lot of the rookies straight out of the police academy I've been seeing in the streets lately....

"At 31, am I too old to become a LEO?"

No.

As for the federal cut off...

It is tied to the benefit packages.

Some federal law enforcement positions have benefit packages with mandatory retirement at age 57. Those benefit packages require a minumium of 20 years of service to fully vest, therefore requiring that you be hired by age 37.

Many federal law enforcement positions have other benefit packages with no mandatory retirement age. FLETC has graduated folks in their 70s and 80s. No comment on whether I think that is a good practice or not. Their agencies apparently wanted them, and they got them.

Visit www.usajobs.gov for more information on available federal LEO positions.

Search hints:

Prep a resume with their builder to have ready when you'll need it.
Always search US for the location.
Mix up your searches (basic, agency, series, etc) for best coverage/results.
Search every week, Tuesday through Thursday, to catch all the announcements.
Search "investigation and inspection" using the basic search.
Occupational series of interest to prospective LEOs: 1801, 1811, 1881, 1895, 1896, 0083, 0085... there are others.

Best of luck - Erik

Last edited:
At 31, am I too old to become a LEO?

Not in the state of Washington. My youngest son recently graduated from the Washington State Criminal Justice BLEA (Basic Law Enforcement Academy), and in a class of 28 recruits there were a number over 31 years of age.

GO FOR IT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back