Assembly Cost

Shin-Tao

I was looking through SGN and other such places, and I was seeing 1911 frames for $200, and slides for $100...this got me thinking, of cource.

How much would it cost to aquire the remaining parts and have some one intellegent assemble them?

No race guns, or ultra-custom-carry-tactical stuff, just base standard 1911.

I know a few of you guys have done this. How did it turn out?

Shin
The price of assembling your own 1911 can cost as much if not more then a factory gun. First, you get what you pay for in parts. Secondly, once you have all the parts, you have to pay a smith to put it together. This will include some handfitting.

If you want a stock 1911 that will go bang everytime, is fairly accurate, then look for a Springfield Mil-Spec. You can find good used ones for around $300-400. It's damn near impossible to build a 1911 from parts for that cheap.

Later down the road, if you wish to tinker with it, the Mil-Spec is a GREAT gun to build upon.

With all that said, I bought a Rock River Arms slide and frame for $450 and in the end, this 100% custom 1911 will run close to $3500.

You're right of course, Son, but I'm toying with the idea of gradually acquiring parts after initiallly buying the bargan slide and frame.

I just want to know how much basic parts would cost.

Get hold of a Gun Parts Corp. catalog and look up the Colt Government Model, Model "O". Add up the cost of all the (non-duplicate) parts. Yes, you might get better parts, but don't bet on it.

When there were plenty of real GI parts available cheap, like hammers at $.50, building pistols on something like an Essex frame was cost effective. But I can buy an Argentine Colt today for far less than building one would cost, and I would not need a gunsmith. And I would have a far better gun.

Jim

Back