Assembling Mossberg from parts?

ctdonath

Is it possible to obtain Mossberg parts for assembly of a new gun for one's own use? Are never-assembled receivers available? I'm specifically looking for 590 Mariner components. Who do I talk to, and what "manufacturing" laws do I have to worry about?

Goodnes...<g>

- I'll bet that if you could do it, it would cost at least 50% more (or greater) than a fully-assembled factory firearm -- gun parts (in every case I've ever seen) are like car parts...

- I'll also bet you probably can't get a receiver except as a factory-installed replacement (which means you'd have to send them an existing shotgun)

- I read someone state once that the federal tax issue you mention had an exemption for some very small number of guns (very small,but greater than one <g> ) -- check with the local ATF office, or maybe their webpage, but don't forget state laws

- Perhaps you could find a cheap [ab]used Mossy to send back and get the factory to put it in a new receiver of the type you want?

Good luck!

The way I got my bird 870 was to buy a receiver that had been parted out from a dealer that took amessa tower guns from the Md Pen when they closed it down. All were banged up, the worst looking were Parkerized and adapted to 3 inch shells.

Maybe you can do something similiar, Check with your local Police supply store and see.

My guess is,unless you get lucky, this is not likely to be easy....

Yes, it will probably cost more...except that Mossberg probably doesn't make the mutant that I want.

I want a M590 pistol-grip-only with a rifled barrel (long story), and according to NY law it _must_ be manufactured that way; modifying an existing shotgun won't work. Since Mossberg probably hasn't made such a beast, I'll have to make it myself (I just want one, so manufacturing laws shouldn't be a hassle).

Back