Assembling an AR-15

shamster

I am most likely gonna buy a Bushmaster AR-15 lower receiver from my FFL dealer, and order the rest (complete upper, mags, etc) from Bushmaster directly. That way, there is money saved (cheaper Federal Excise Tax), and easier for me to bring home (my parents will freak if they see me bring a complete "assault rifle" home).
Anyway, I have zero experience with AR-15's. Are they easy to put together? And after I assemble it at home, will they be as accurate and reliable as if I bought a complete AR? Any gunsmithing or special fitting required?

If your childhood included Lego bricks, you can put an AR together. Go to http://www.ar15.com for instructions on how to assemble one and for the tools (you'll need a barrel vise or upper receiver vise, torque wrench, barrel nut tool, some roll pin punches, etc.).

About the only thing you won't be able to do is adjust headspace. To a limited extent, tightening down the barrel or loosening it (so long as it remains within the torque specs) will help, but most of the time to adjust headspace you try a different bolt.

It'll should take an hour to assemble either the upper or the lower. Be sure to function check along the way. It's also a lot of fun.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Actually, I doubt I'll even need that many tools. The upper comes completely assembled, and the lower too. Hopefully, all I have to do is snap the two together.

If the lower is also completely assembled, yes, all you have to do is put them together and slip in the push-pins.

If the lower is not fully assembled, it's not much more complicated. Certainly check out www.ar15.com for particulars.

Gee Shamster, if your'e buying a preassembled upper and lower, basic field stripping knowlege is all you need. You won't even need the years of training on Lego like I have (opps, my secret is out). Provided the take down holes on both upper and lower are drilled correctly, and the same for the pivot pin holes, you simply join the upper and lower together at the front (pivot pin), push the pivot pin all the way through, and then the take down pin. Then it's range time.

------------------

Shamster? "Your parent's will freak" Are you over the age of? Curiosity is a wonderful thing but.
Your buddy, HankL

Ok, in case anyone is wondering, I'm of legal age to purchase firearms. 23 in a little over a week actually.
My mom is not too cool with the idea of me having firearms. So I don't discuss these things with her, based on an agreement with my dad. I'm sure she knows I have a gun or two (I really have more than this), but she will definitely not like a big "assault" looking rifle coming into the house.

Building an AR is a lot of fun!
There is no other feeling like it when you fire off your first rounds through the gun you just made.
Congrats on a good choice!

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Just got an email from artech, who was until recently with Bushmaster. Here's some insights he gave me which I'd like to share with you:

"Headspace on AR's is totally a funciton of the fit between barrel and barrel extension, the actual measurement is taken in the barrel between the shoulder of the chamber and the inside face of the barrel extension, which is actually a separate forged peice that is installed during the manufacture of the barrel. So, headspace is built into the barrel and really can't be adjusted at all (my italics).

"The flanged piece that fits into the upper receiver is the extension itslef, and it is torqued onto the rest of the barrel TIGHT (150+ ft/lbs). The barrel extension might be thought of as a separate receiver in itself, as it provides the same function as the receiver of a bolt action rifle, locking the bolt and barrel together.

"The barrel nut holds the barrel onto the upper, but has not other function and cannot adjust headspace. As long as the bolt used meets the min/max tolerances, any bolt can be used, because the barrels are all the same. The upper really doesn't do much of anything except hold the sights and keep the carrier running straight."

That's most of the email folks. A hearty thanks from me to artech for getting the record straight.

------------------

I have wondered about this for a long time. I probably will have to build one too. I have a couple of questions.
I can save a ton of money doing it myself. What if I built three and had a dealer sell two? Is it legal? I am looking for a way to pay for mine.
If I legally buy post-ban stripped receivers and post-ban configured psrts I would have a legal AR-15, but in order to build them for sale, would I need a license or anything?

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Back