Assault Rifle / SBR

tepin

This might be a dumb question so at a minimum I hope I can ask the question in a way that is understood. :o

If I were to make a SBR from an AR15, is the SBR still considered an “assault rifle” or does it fall under a different classification because it is now an NFA registered firearm or doesn’t it matter?

Once the gun is under NFA law, everything doesn't matter. An SBR is an SBR, not an "assault rifle".

Like in MI, SBRs are illegal unless they are C&R guns on a C&R collectors license. The only way to make this legal is if the host gun was a machine gun. You can put any length barrel on a machine gun and it will always be a machine gun. If I have a machine gun with 14.5" barrel, it's not a SBR, it's a MG so it's legal in MI.

To be clear, if a state has a ban on all AR15 "assault rifles" but doesnt specifically ban SBRs, I am good to go?? :)

It depends on how the statute is worded. If they ban AR15's by name, chances are it is worded like this "...and to include all variants..." That would still make your shorty AR illegal.

During the AWB of '94, all of the 'evil features' were outlawed on even SBR's that werent registered before the cutoff.

Back