ASP legal in TX?

Drizzt

How can I find out if ASP batons are legal for carry in TX? I've asked several differnt people (LEO, and others familiar with the law), but have not been able to get a definite answer. I also asked the question of the instructor while going through my CHL class, but he was unsure as well.

It easily fits the definition of a club under the definition of a club in the Texas Penal Code. Obviously, it's legal for me to carry one. Since a club fits in the elements of unlawful carrying a weapon it is an offense. So the answer to your question is no...it's not legal. But again officer discretion would come into play.

I'm trying to gather whether non-LEO use of an expandable baton for self-defense is legal or illegal in most states. Almost all credible trainers seem to restrict training to LEOs, leaving the non-LEO ready access to most fully lethal weapons (firearms, edged weapons) but fewer less-than-lethal alternatives (impact weapons, in particular). Hence, a lot of people get in the "If you can't run away, shoot'em" mentality. Better than just "Shoot'em", but not as good (or legal) as matching force with force, for those that could if trained.

Comments and opinions welcome.

BRET

Let me add that it's not legal to own in your house but if you carry it outside of your house or in your car you could be looking at trouble.

What he meant to say.......

jadams951 meant to say while it is legal to own an ASP (or club) in your home, you may not carry it outside your home.

Back